high pitched noise from DF140 control box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high pitched noise from DF140 control box

I have a 2006 DF 140. I have an intermittent problem where, at times, I get a high pitched loud noise originating from the forward controls (the box where I shift from Rev/Neutral/Forward). It only happens when I turn the ignition on and does it whether the engine is running or not. It does not beep, it is a continuous high pitched "squeal" like an alarm of some sort. Yet I don't have any of the trouble lights lit at the bottom of the rpm gauge. Engine runs fine with the alarm. Eventually it stops all by itself. The problem is intermittent, I usually don't have the noise, but when I do, it is very loud and annoying. Any ideas ???

Anyone have any ideas?

Comment

Now the alarm does not sound anymore at all. When I turn the key to power on, I get no buzzer and only 2 of the 4 warning lights light up. Sometimes I hear a faint buzzer, but most of the time there is nothing. Engine starts up and runs fine. Anybody else ever had this ?

Comment

Could be bad buzzer, shorted wire, bad sensor, need to run a diagnostic on to see if has any fault codes.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

the only time I have experience the sound you describe .. was not a Suzuki.. happened on a dive trip in around a kelp bed.. the kelp would partially close off the cold water intake and a heat alarm would sound, which caused exactly what noise you mentioned..
          as mentioned check for fault codes and then would check the water pump- check for damaged impeller
          or change it if it has not been replaced .. I believe the book for my 175 suggests at 200 hours

Originally posted by Gearbox Paul View Post
          Now the alarm does not sound anymore at all. When I turn the key to power on, I get no buzzer and only 2 of the 4 warning lights light up. Sometimes I hear a faint buzzer, but most of the time there is nothing. Engine starts up and runs fine. Anybody else ever had this ?

Comment

Working...
          X