2009 175 4 stroke throttle linkage failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 175 4 stroke throttle linkage failure

My wife called to tell me that she was marooned and that the motor would not move above idle no matter what she did with the throttle. After a 3 hour idle back to the dock the problem was discovered to be the throttle linkage inside the motor cowling (a pin about 1/4 in sticking down into a white plastic bushing had come off). The pin was pushed back up into the bushing and has (so far) worked OK. I spoke with a service tech and he said that there should be an "e" clip to secure the pin from falling out of the bushing. I bought several sizes of these clips from an auto supply and took the cowling off with the intention of putting the clip on. However, I don't see how I could get to the spot where this clip should go.

Has anyone had this type of failure before? Should there really be a clip to hold the throttle pin in the bushing? If so, how do you access it to put it on?

You need a stainless steel e clip. can you see the old one laying around ? not a auto one as it will rust out in no time you might have to remove the lower cover and a pair of bent pointy nose pliers.

to test if it is stainless a magnet will not pick it up

oh and cuss a bit i find that helps no just kidding.
    Last edited by mitch; 07-30-2010, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice. I've never had the lower cowling off. How does it come off and can it be done with the boat on a lift in the water?

Comment

Working...
      X