Broken butterfly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken butterfly

I have a 06 df175 and one of the butterflies in the intake is broken. I have looked on the boats.net website and see only the whole intake for sale. AND IT AINT CHEAP!!! Just wondering if anybody has had the experience.

http://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/s...-manifold.html
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Thanks for the info. I was able to take apart the butterflies, just wondering if there is anyway to just replace the part I need and not the whole manifold. Just wondering also what other kind of damage could have been done. The mechanic said it had good compression in all cylinders and it would still start and idle like normal. The only reason I started looking into the motor was I heard a little tick or knock on the top end of the motor when headed out on a fishing trip. The butterfly was sitting in the head right where the injector sprays the gas into the head. Im hopping the tick or knock was from the cylinder not getting the gas it needed at higher rpm's. (Kinda like the valves tapping on a car when not burning fuel correctly).
      Last edited by mike35292; 10-12-2013, 10:51 PM.

Comment

I've not seen any source for just the butterflies. It looks like the entire manifold had to be replaced. I'm just hoping that it doesn't happen to my DF150.
        Mike
        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

You can't buy the valve gates as individual spares; the manifold unit is not intended to be a service item. All 3 replacements I've bought have moulded into them on the back the following: "Never attempt to disassemble the manifold". If I were the suspicious kind I'd almost be tempted to think Suzuki were trying to hide something...

Comment

Mr. Russ, did the broken butterfly breaking off on your motors mess anything else up in the motor? I have already ordered the new one and am hoping nothing else is torn up.

Comment

Hi Mike, the plastic flaps fracture vertically at the internal corners, and are the sucked towards the inlet valves in the cylinder head. In both of my engines small pieces of the flaps got past the valves into the combustion chambers (bent spark plug electrodes is a clue that this has happened). I've had the top end rebuilt on both engines; fortunately there seems to have been no lasting damage to the cylinders or pistons. The larger pieces of flap can jam in the valve stem area, resulting in loss of compression and possibly bent valves. If you're in doubt as to the integrity of your engine, it would be good to have a competent engineer have a look at the valves and pistons.

Best Regards,

Russ

Comment

Working...
              X