Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracked lower unit housings

Hello forum mates!

I've got 2 2004 200HP 4 strokes and both lower unit housings are cracked on both sides of the prop running parallel to the waterline. Lower unit oil seems OK (no water intrusion) but the cracks are nasty and seem to be growing. The engines have less than 300 hours on them. Has anyone ever seen this before on Zukes? I keep waiting for the lower units to drop into the sea!!

Probably have corrosion between bearing carrier and housing.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

If the crack is in the "cylinder" parallel to the shaft, that is not uncommon. Called stress cracking. Drill a 1/8 inch hole at the tip of the crack, all the way thru. I will take a picture of mine tomorrow...if similar..then no issue..a picture from you would help

Comment

Photos of lower unit cracking
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the photo's. That is exactly what I'm looking at. How deep do you drill the stop crack hole? Wall thickness of the housing? What do you fill the cracks with? Anyone know where to get rebuilt lower units? This can't be a minor issue, don't want to be 100 miles off-shore and have these blow up!

Thank for your help!

Comment

You drill thru to the hollow behind. Those cracks on mine have been there 5 years or more..they are called stress cracks..if my pictures are clear enough...they went thru the first hole after a year but have not moved beyond the 2nd hole for 3 or 4. years. Airplanes get them all the time you can usually do several holes. I filled mine with silicon but it serves no purpose other than cosmetic. You can have them welded but I would do the 1/8 stop drill just a hair past the visible crack first..then weld if you want but they are pretty common with no real danger unless they go around the whole lower unit

Comment

I had same problem on both of my 05 DF200's and had them welded.
              To do it properly, the lower unit has to be taken completely apart, welded up, machined or honed and put back together. The welding and machining only cost a few hundred but the first one cost $1000 to take apart, new seals an put back together. You may want to try the drilled hole and watch it.

Comment

Really! This can't be "normal". I've got less than 300 hrs on these motors. Does Suzuki sand behind these "stress cracks" or not? Let me guess!

Comment

lower unit

what needs to be done to pull the lower unit

Comment

I think that without any further information about which motor you're inquiring, the only answer can be, "Unbolt it."
                    Mike
                    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

I cant say specifically for the 4 stroke motors but my 2 stroke has 3 bolts on each side, and one underneath the steering trim tab. The shifter mechanism separates with the removal of a cotterpin and clevis bolt..take all the bolts out and gently pull apart. If your just going to drill them, then no need to separate . if your going the weld route then you have to drop the lower unit. I would hope you have dropped the lower units to have the water pump replaced several times if its a 2004...otherwise those bolts might not be too happy to come out

Comment

Working...
                      X