Solas props?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solas props?

I have a new 90A outboard on a Key Largo 180 boat. I want to install a Solas Titan 13 7/8 X 17 stainless prop. I know nothing about Solas props. Has anyone got an opinion or suggestion?

Solas props are fine. I considered one when i got my DF115 a few years ago, but ended up going with a genuine Suzuki SS prop. My dealer had tested them against the Solas props and found they performed better and achieved better fuel economy. So that made the choice easy.

Are you aware that the Suzukis run a quite different gearbox ratio to most other outboards, which means that the prop sizes will be different to what you might otherwise expect?

So the standard old 17" might not suit your 90. What is the current prop, and have you discussed options with your Suzuki dealer? You will want the motor to get very close to the max recommended rpm on these engines to get best performance and engine life.

Comment

I now have a 13 1/4 X 19, (I believe it came from West Marine) that my dealer installed, the max rpm is 5400. My dealer is very new to Suzuki and to the Key Largo line of boats ( I was their first Key Largo / Suzuki sale ). They are trying very hard to please me but I feel, not yet enough experience with this boat / motor combination. I believe moving to the 17 pitch should get me to about 5800 rpm, recommended range is 5300 - 6300rpm. Close enough? I don't believe I want to get higher than the recommended rpm. I've been told going from 13 1/4 to 13 7/8 diameter should have negligible effect.

Comment

5400 is not good. These engines like to rev!! Try to get close to 6000.

Found this test of what seems like your exact boat and same motor on the Suzuki USA website. They used a Suzuki 14x16 stainless prop.

It would be worth checking what hole your local dealer has mounted the engine on as this can make a big difference. Refer also to the attached article for details.

http://www.suzukimarine.com/Product%...0%20CC%20DF90A

Comment

Thank You!!!

Comment

Working...
          X