C ring clip on shift mechanism popped off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C ring clip on shift mechanism popped off

65 miles off of New Bedford, the c clip holding a bar that is attached to a post on the side of the engine behind the lower cover popped off, disabliing the Shift. Every thing appeared to be in good order with the shift cable and linkage when I removed the engine cover. The problem was in the upper unit on the side. I didn't know what was wrong and had no way to find out. the new d175 had 80 hours of time on the engine. Took 10 hours to return to port on the other engine.

Appears to be a very serious and potentially dangerous design problem. On one end of the bar linkage the connection is secured with a cotter pin. why is a clip used on the other side that can pop off? I have heard this happened to someone else with a 175. Mine is a 2012.

What about drilling a hole in the post below the C clip as a backup. Although the dealer replaced the clip, I have no assurance that this will not happen again. Can the post be removed and replaced with a longer one that provides more strength when a hole is drilled through to hold a cotter pin?

I haven't had any issues with shift linkage on them and I dont think there is enough shaft to drill a hole for cotter key but it may be possible.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

Question about reply

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
      I haven't had any issues with shift linkage on them and I dont think there is enough shaft to drill a hole for cotter key but it may be possible.
      I'm looking for a fix to what appears to be a poorly designed linkage. What will Suzuki do to correct this. The clip came off once. It can do the same again. There has to be a way to prevent this dangerous situation from occuring by a better design.

Comment

You would need to call Suzuki to find out what they can do.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

can you provide a number or email where I get a person talk to.

Thanks

Comment

Suzuki number is 714-572-1490
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
            X