Tappet Holder part 09916-69310

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tappet Holder part 09916-69310

every place I have found for this simple not mechanical part to check valve clearances.. is someplace between $163 to over $400

so the question is
    1) has anyone found a reasonable place to buy one at a reasonable price?
    assuming #1 is not reasonable..
    2) is anyone willling to lend one out for a short period.?. I will pay postage

Art

The only place I found this tool was the Suzuki web site and at an astonishing $400-plus
    Well with a piece of galvinized steel 20 minutes later here is their relacement
    And it works just fine
    Art
    Last edited by artdf175; 10-20-2016, 06:00 AM.

Comment

Mike. If you want to use it sometime just let me know

Comment

Thanks, Art. I admire your ingenuity.
        Mike
        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

it is a good prototype this one worked however and did get all the shims out.
          I see a few flaws in the design so I will be making another one of a bit denser material..

art..

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but I'm new here and found this forum while searching for info on Suzuki Tappet Holders. These days it seems that Suzuki has a "kit" for holding the tappets and changing shims and they want $450+ for it. I'd rather not spend that much if I do not have to.

Thanks for the pic, artdf175--it's very helpful. Did you ever make the "second generation" model?

Comment

yes... as a matter of fact I did make a better tool
              started with a tool for my 6 inch grinder
              let me see if I can remember how to attach photos again..
              art
              Last edited by artdf175; 10-19-2016, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Nice!
                You mean the piece was made out of a tool that was originally for your grinder?

I'm no mechanic, but it looks like this tool (or Suzuki's) would depress the "bucket" when bolted down so the shim can be slid out? Is that the idea?

Thanks very much for the help.

Comment

it took several attempts to get it right
                  the first one pictured earlier just was not stiff enough
                  the "wrench" required heating with a propane torch to get hot enough to make the bends without the metal cracking
                  make the cut just large enough in the center to span the part the cam shaft hold down bolts onto
                  this requires only one bolt to hold it in place and makes for easier centering
                  the 'ears' fit on the the edge of the "bucket" that holds the shims in place
                  by design this depresses both the upper and lower buckets at the same time
                  once they are depressed, you use a magnet to grab and extract the shims.
                  it is a little crude.. I am a wood worker, not a metal worker.. so someone that works with metal can probably improve on this a lot.. but this worked for me -- and I didn't spend $450 doing it..
                  Art...........
                  Last edited by artdf175; 10-19-2016, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Great info--thanks again

Comment

Working...
                    X