Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing the Starboard Cylinder Jug

Hello all, Motor is 2003 DT 225.

I am need to replace my #2 piston and was told that I can remove the cylinder jug without splitting the block. Do I need to remove the power head to remove the Jug? In other words. Are their bolts on the underside of the cylinder jug that need to be removed so I can remove the jug and replace it? If you need more info please just ask.

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Dom

I have not recently disassembled a DT motor, but over the summer I had the heads off on my 2003-225 and the entire cyl bank(all 3) appears to be one piece . I seems to be difficult to slide all 3 pistons and rings back into the block at the same time from behind...also I don't know if it is possible to un-do the rod endcap from the piston side. If the piston is bad...did it damage the cyl walls--they cannot be honed if scored

Comment

The cylinder looks ok but I need to get it all apart to know how bad the damage really is. If I can slide the piston down not out I would be able to remove piston pins and then push pistons out through the top. Might just make sense to pull out the p/h and do in on the bench.

Dom

Comment

To do that you would have to split the case to access the crank and connecting rod bolts, then you could remove only 1 piston and leave the cyl head bank intact. The cyl's are lined with boron..thus making them difficult/impossible to repair cyl wall damage...what happened and how do you know nbr 2 piston is bad

Comment

It had zero compression and I scoped it and saw why. The piston is Broken. I spoke with Jensen marine a Suzuki dealer here on Long Island and the owner told me it was due to bad fuel. A very common problem with the DT models. I know that I have to remove the the Cylinder jug. I also learned that I do have to remove the P/H to get to bolts on the underside. My new question is can I slide the Cylinder Jugs off the pistons? This is what I was lead to believe. I also know that I will have to replace the Jug with a new one, This is expensive.. I can't find a machine shop that will reman the jugs.

Dom

Comment

A simple answer to that would be yes
            roomba 570

Comment

There is no single "jug"...it is a cylinder head with 3 bores..they are impregnated with boron, so they cannot be machined. If the piston is broken/damaged you have to open up the block to remove all the spare parts so they don't bang around and do more damage...if your lucky, the piston broke without damaging the cyl walls but you have to open it all up to see..good luck

Comment

bad fuel in one cylinder only??? doubt it. Might be a fuel issue, but not bad fuel, same fuel goes to all cylinders. No idea what the "jug" is you are referring to.

Comment

I don't know anything about the 2 strokes, but, as seaox230c said, it looks to me like you cannot remove just one jug (see diagram), since each bank of three appears to be a single casting.
                  Attached Files
                  Mike
                  μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Working...
                  X