New Suzuki Owner....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Suzuki Owner....

New member here, and new to Suzuki's....
    Ive just aquired an 07' 115hp 4 stroke Suzuki from my company. They bought the engine new, put maybe 2hours on it, and its been sitting for 2 years. In my mind, before I turn the key, I want to change all the fluids,plugs,filters,impeller, and fuel lines that I can. Im not sure if they ran marine fuel(non ethanol) in it or not....?
    I guess my question to you fellas is, what proceedures and steps do I need to do in order to make sure I dont harm this engine while starting it up for the first time in 2 years?
    Thanks for any and all the help!

Come on fellas... Help a brother out. I'm needing to get this boat race ready fir duck season and I don't want to screw anything up. Any helpful guide to getting this engine back online properly would be a big stress relief.

Comment

Too bad. seems this forum is dead for quite some time. Will try and find something. Cheerio!
      roomba 570

Comment

To start with, be patient. Not everyone has the time or inclination to post on the forum every day. One evening is hardly long enough for you to be complaining about no response.

If the motor has only two hours on it, it is essentially a new motor. I wouldn't bother with changing anything out. But I would change the fluids, new oil, new oil filter, and new gear lube. I wouldn't even pump up the primer bulb for the first crank, because with luck, it will not fire immediately, and you get to pump some oil through the journals for a few seconds. Then, assuming you didn't crank long enough to fire it up, go back and pump the primer bulb until firm, and give it a go.
        Mike
        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Yes change fluids, inspect fuel hoses and filters and see if it runs.
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

I saw that you had the impeller on your list for replacement, and i would agree with that. It could be Ok but sitting so long risks getting brittle or not having required flexibility for optimum performance. And for such a vital component, worth the relatively small expense. D nt forget to grease shafts etc when you have the leg off.

I guess if you want to circulate some oil thru bearings etc before she fires, up, you could remove the deadman lanyard and crank it for a bit, then replace and start her up.

Comment

one other thing to remember - since you indicated it only has 2 hours on it..
              make sure you follow the break-in instructions to the "T"

I would also pump some fresh fuel through the lines.. then drain the fuel pump and carb. to make sure all the old fuel has been replaced

good luck..

Comment

Thanks everyone! I just got back in town and will be servicing her this week.
                Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by artdf175 View Post
                  one other thing to remember - since you indicated it only has 2 hours on it..
                  make sure you follow the break-in instructions to the "T"

I would also pump some fresh fuel through the lines.. then drain the fuel pump and carb. to make sure all the old fuel has been replaced

good luck..
                  It is an EFI 4 stroke, so no carbs. And the fuel pump is electronic.

Drain all filters and lines under the cowl will be sufficient, prime and start with fresh fuel.

Comment

Also seeing as it is a 2007 model, check to see if it has the troublesome steel plug in the engine holder, and buy the replacement alloy one while you can get it out!

Comment

Originally posted by noelm007 View Post
                      Also seeing as it is a 2007 model, check to see if it has the troublesome steel plug in the engine holder, and buy the replacement alloy one while you can get it out!
                      I thought Suzuki fixed that problem with the 2004 models.
                      Mike
                      μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

I know this sounds stupid, but what plug are you talking about in "the engine holder"?

Comment

I'll let someone with a DF140 or DF115 give you any more of the particulars on the problem, but basically, there was a corrosion problem caused by dissimilar metals (a ferrous plug screwed into an aluminum body), heated by exhaust gases, that eventually caused corrosion issues with the engine holder. The fix was replacing the plug with an aluminum plug or welding up the hole in place of the plug (plug was not really needed). Here's a photo of the plug location, borrowed from another forum.
                          Attached Files
                          Mike
                          μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                            X