2005 DF140 primer bulb collapsing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 DF140 primer bulb collapsing

My DF140 runs fine up to 2000 RPM, but above the engine will die and the gas primer bulb has collapsed ( folded in). The engine used to die occasionally after running, stopping, then taking off again, which I contributed to a vapor lock, but I don't recall the primer bulb collapsing.

After a few minutes, I can get the primer bulb back up and pump gas again, but the engine will die again if I exceed 2000 RPM. I installed a new water seperator/fuel filter, but this did not take care of the problem. Any suggestions?

There are some kind of blocking between the gas tank and the primer bulb, may also be the vent hole in the tank. If the fuel system can't supply enough gas, there will be underpressure in the hose and the primer bulb is a nice indicator for that problem...

Comment

Don't take this the wrong way but is the primer bulb installed in the correct direction ?
      Another check would be to temporarily take the premier bulb out and run the motor and see if it either works or doesn't
      Could have se blockage in bulb
      Or agree that the fuel tank vent may be plugged
      At one point I had a spider plug up mine
      Last edited by artdf175; 11-24-2013, 01:05 PM. Reason: Add more info

Comment

If you are in the US, your boat likely has an anti-siphon valve on the tank connection. It looks like a barbed fitting with a longer than normal hex portion. This is a spring loaded ball check valve that can plug up with junk from your tank. That would be the first thing I would check. You either have a blockage between the bulb and the tank, or a blocked vent.

Comment

Working...
        X