Oil issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil issues

Our Df225 & DF225Z have recently started using a lot of oil.
    Before each trip we check the oil levels, and at first it was one engine but know both engines are using a lot of oil, top up is usually about 1 lt.

Am doing a full service after the boat returns from it travels today and tomorrow.

Any pointer to look out for in regards to oil loss?

Appreciate any feed back.

cheers

Do a leak down test on cylinders to see if rings are ok.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

Look at my post on page 3 of the forum
      Df175 oil loss
      Still working on my issue
      Not clear yet on leaking valve stems or rings
      My intake valve clearance were all out of specs
      My #2 had a negative clearance
      Exhaust side better but all need correcting
      After shims get replace will plan is to take it out for a hour or so and check oil
      Question. Any visible signs of loss?
      Read through my post and see if you can spot any similarities
      Art

Comment

Art - Thanks have been going through you thread, seeing what i can use to sort my issue out.

Boat.net - i did a compression test
        Findings were ok... last 2 cyl check where down in comparison to the others, should i be concerned with the result of the last 2 cyl?

Trying to sort out how do do the leak down test with my workshop

1 -175psi
        2 -170
        3 - 170
        4 -170
        5 - 155
        6 - 150

cheers

Comment

Not getting FULL rpm

further to my oil issue, before doing the compresson test we had rpm issue on one engine.

Port engine revs up to 5000rpm with ease, strb engine will only rev up to 4000rpm. Even with WOT the strb engine just site at 4000 - 4200 rpm and the port hit full rpm.

After our service on both engine changing oil, spark plugs and doing a compression test, i was expecting a positive out come.

The boat is doing a run today and tomorrow, and with this morning run no change. AAAHHH

I also found oil on the outside of the throttle body, and around the breath/oil vapour hose on the tappet cover. has just started appearing when Rpm issue came up.

Any thoughts

Comment

Stopped by my auto Mechanic today he has a scope so I can see the valves if their is damage or piston walls for damage from bad rings- be following up on this after x-mas
            However after a some q&a found this interesting
            Question on plugs. Ask if there was white residue. Reason burning a lot of oil leaves white flakey residue. Not black which several people thought it should be
            His immediate thought it is a breather problem ----as you recently noticed oil around the throttle body
            And that makes some sense to me
            Anyone have any thoughts along these lines?
            Art

Comment

NiVani.. you didn't mention how many hours you have on the motor
              have you had the valve clearances checked? my manual says every 200 hours
              my motor had not been looked at until now.. even when I had the motor gone over a year ago with 400 hours the mechanic didn't do it.. why?? no idea..
              but in checking it now.. all the intake valves were tight.. #2 was negative.. no clearance
              exhaust most were out of spec.. should be .30 to .34 mm --3 were at .28 and the rest from .20 to .23
              while mine is apart after the mechanic mentioned it may be a breather problem.. will be checking to see if there might be something causing oil to spray from one of the journals where it should not be going..
              Art..

Comment

A leak could have various reasons. One of the important ones is because of damage done to the rings. Because of which it will guzzle a lot of gas. In that case you will have to replace the rings.
                atlantarhinoplastycritic

Comment

Curious if you have made any further progress
                  Since my mechanic mentioned it could be a breather problem I am checking the baffle inside the valve cover. Seems it is sealed all the way around except a slot on the top port side
                  There appears to be a slot at the bottom for a drain but from what I can see it is sealed with a gasket type material. If oil were to get behind this the only way out would be the breather hose
                  Will let you know what I find when I can get this baffle plate off
                  See my other post
                  Art

Comment

Was not the baffle plate in my case
                    There is a small drain hole between plate and valve cover that was not visible also breather hose was not dripping oil and throttle body and area around it is not showing oil like you explained
                    Art

Comment

Sorry Art, Have been away from work.
                      No have not had any luck with the oil issue.
                      We have done 1000hr on both engine and no we have not had the chance to inspect the valve clearance yet.
                      We are still losing oil but not as much as a lt any more, but still cant get stb engine to move above 4000rpm. gona try get a computer onto it to see if all censers are working.

Comment

Okay thanks. May try this weekend to get the boat on the water for my test run
                        Want to see of getting valves adjusted may just help the oil problem
                        Was that your post on the AIC valve?
                        Don't know anything about that adjustment but remember from the manual that it was not one the easier adjustments to do
                        Art

Comment

Working...
                        X