• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grant and Mike ...now I am more confused that when I started
    here is what I found when I checked for software today
    it is showing for my HDS-9T V2.1
    EP-60 Fuel flow 1.9.0
    and three others - I can only assume the are for the engine interface
    i.e. MFD (?) all showing 2.1.45.144.0 (multi function display??)

before I had the HDS unit I had installed the EP-60 fuel flow meter for my other Lowrance chartplotter
    that went directly into the fuel line and was and is connected to the NEMA backbone which it still is today

IS there another fuel flow meter system, somewhere associated with the engine electronics via the interface cable? one that makes the EPR-60 redundant?

so is the v2.3 software right for the HDS chartplotter?
    art...

when I put in the HDS unit.

Comment

Hi Art, Happy New Year....

Grant will know a lot more about the HDS, so I'll leave that part to him. But I do know that fuel flow input comes in through the engine interface, and is based on input from the ECU itself (the ECU calculates this by using the pulse duration of the injectors, which at a given pressure, will flow a given amount of fuel, assuming the fuel system is working properly). So it would seem to me that your EP-60 is redundant. Now, whether you can configure your HDS unit to ignore one input or the other is beyond my knowledge. So that's about all I can contribute.
      Mike
      μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Originally posted by artdf175 View Post
        Grant and Mike ...now I am more confused that when I started
        here is what I found when I checked for software today
        it is showing for my HDS-9T V2.1
        EP-60 Fuel flow 1.9.0
        and three others - I can only assume the are for the engine interface
        i.e. MFD (?) all showing 2.1.45.144.0 (multi function display??)

before I had the HDS unit I had installed the EP-60 fuel flow meter for my other Lowrance chartplotter
        that went directly into the fuel line and was and is connected to the NEMA backbone which it still is today

IS there another fuel flow meter system, somewhere associated with the engine electronics via the interface cable? one that makes the EPR-60 redundant?

so is the v2.3 software right for the HDS chartplotter?
        art...

when I put in the HDS unit.
        Hello Art

The AP 60 is a Lowrance NMEA component to measure the fuel flow to engine and as far as I know will always give you false readings due to the fact that your outboard has a low and a high pressure fuel pump installed.

What you have to choose from you device list to check the software version is the Suzuki engine itself. The fuel consumption is coming straight from the Engine's ECU not the AP 60 flow meter
        Last edited by savakntr; 01-03-2014, 02:05 AM.
        If you are not thoroughly confused, you have not been thoroughly informed.

Comment

Hi Art

It would definitely be best if you can take a photo of the HDS screen on the network devices page, with all devices turned on, and post it here so we can see what you have got. Currently it is a bit confusing!

Anything appearing on the device list as MFD will be the HDS, as the network recognises each HDS separately as three things: a GPS, sounder and display.

Before you turn the HDS on, turn the engine key to on, where it beeps, but dont start the engine, leave it in that position, then turn the network and the HDS on. Then go to the network menu and open it, and take a picture of that screen.

If you have the EP 60, the HDS and the Suzuki interface, you should see HDS MFD 3 times, the Ep60, and a device called Suzuki engine or something similar. That last one is the Suzuki interface. It will only show up on the list if the engine key is turned to the on position, as described earlier.

If the "Suzuki" device appears on your device list, move the cursor onto it and hit enter and the details screen for it will appear, and will list the software version etc. Please take a shot of that screen and post it here too.

If you actually have both the Ep60 fuel flow device and the Suzuki engine interface, there is the potential for conflict, and i would be inclined to simply remove the EP60 from your network as every bit of data it gives you is also provided by the engine interface.

But let's leave that discussion until we can determine exactly what devices you have connected to your network!

Look fwd to your next update with photos. Will do what we can to assist after that.

Comment

Thanks and just didn't think about having to turn the key on
            Stay tuned

Comment

Okay now I have it...
              you guys are great.. thank you
              I found the engine link.. when the guy installed the new plotter.. because I had the inline EP60 fuel flow meter - he set it up for using that..
              so what I did was uncheck that device and in the engine interface selected all the check boxes for monitoring fuel usage..
              also as you can see from attached photos it is the V2.3 software which sounds like what works best..

there is one page in the set up that ask what year the engine is.. and it was checked for pre-2007 -- as this is a 2006 I can only assume that is the right box to have checked

have a bit more work on motor before I can get it out and run it to see how this is now working..

Thanks much for the great work.. I only hope to be as helpful ..
              oh. is there anything else I should be looking and watching for???

Art
              Last edited by artdf175; 10-20-2016, 06:01 AM.

Comment

You will only need calibration if the consumption will exceed 3%

Comment

[QUOTE=savakntr;11467]You will only need calibration if the consumption will exceed +-3%

Comment

Art

That all looks OK, and yes, it shows that your Suzuki interface is running version 2.30 software. The configuration is also correct in terms of the year selected etc.

As Savvas said, if your fuel flow is now reasonably close to accurate, you can, if you wish, improve its accuracy to less than 5% variance from true by recalibrating after you refill your tank. Do you know how to do that?

But if it is already within 2-3% maybe leave it alone.

I would still be inclined to recommend that the EP 60 be removed /disconnected from the network altogether. It just creates the potential for conflicts regarding fuel data because while it remains on the network, there are 2 sources of all fuel related data. It is a recipe for confusion!

Therefore, If you have still have fuel data problems when you test, i would recommend you remove the T piece it is connected to from the network.
                    Last edited by Moonlighter; 01-03-2014, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Got the motor put all back together this afternoon--two good things. I didn't have any parts left over and it started up first turn of the key
                      And the fuel flow at this point looks like is working perfectly
                      The accuracy ? Time will tell. It was giving me reading of .4 at idle and about 1.3 at 2000rpm--is that sounding about right to you?
                      My plans are to fill up the tank and take it out on the river for an hour or so and then check the consumption vs the meter
                      Great guidance. Thanks again
                      Art

Comment

Yep, that looks about right for fuel flow. My interface has firmware ver. 2.5, and is still reading too high. I won't be out on the water for a couple months, so continued calibration will have to wait.
                        Mike
                        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Art

I agree with Mike - that consumption looks much better. As a benchmark my Df115 idles, when warmed up, at about 0.8 liters per hour. Converted to US gallons = 0.22 gPh, so your figures sound promising.

Initially when you first start it will be a bit higher, but after a few minutes idling, it will drop back as the ECU adjusts the mixture as the engine warms up.

Mike,

if you're within about 20% on fuel used vs actual, then calibrating 3 or 4 times will fix it, in my experience.

Cheers guys

Grant

Comment

Grant thanks again for your note..
                            you were correct.. I warmed it again yesterday .. and it seemed to be running a bit smother ..
                            once warmed up the fuel reading dropped to .32 GPH
                            I am reallly anxious now to get it on the river and see what the real numbers are at crusing speed.. and now that I have the valve clearances fixed, It can't help in getting a much better burn rate than before..

Would anyone have any ideas what kind of GPH range I should actually be within for 175?

Art..

Comment

Hi All,

Another Big thanks to Grant from me, after finding this post and reading his comments I was sure he could fix my problem with the new Suzuki interface cable. I sent him an email, he replied fuel flow fixed all within 24hrs, not bad for something I have tried to sort out with various experts since I purchased the cable last october. I cannot recommend his opinion on this subject highly enough.

Regards Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by Hook In View Post
                                Hi All,

Another Big thanks to Grant from me, after finding this post and reading his comments I was sure he could fix my problem with the new Suzuki interface cable. I sent him an email, he replied fuel flow fixed all within 24hrs, not bad for something I have tried to sort out with various experts since I purchased the cable last october. I cannot recommend his opinion on this subject highly enough.

Regards Andrew
                                Glad it solved the problem Andrew! Pleased to be able to assist.

Everyone who is having problems with the latest interface cable software on pre-2013 model Suzukis - please go onto lowrance's Facebook page and put a post up complaining about he faulty software and what you had to do to sort it, and ask them to fix the current interface software version so IT WORKS!

The more of us that complain to them the better, they might take some notice and do something. I believe that they manufacture this interface cable for Suzuki and are responsible for the software.

Comment

Working...
                                X