2001 suzuki df 115 swivel bracket replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 suzuki df 115 swivel bracket replacement

I understand in order to do the swivel bracket replacement,the powerhead has to be pulled , what parts have to come off the powerhead in order take it off, in one manuel I was reading it was talking about removing the intake manifold assembly, removing electrical parts holder etc. I don't want to take off any parts that I don't have to. Any suggestions and tips would be helpful. Thanks

you don't have to touch power head .take lower uint off pull shift rod out of power head if it doesn't come out with lower uint .take engine off of boat.four motor mount bolts.grounding wire by the lower uint.big circle clip at bottom of swivel .if your just freeing it up you could leave the bracket on the boat .

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I will need to replace swivel bracket due to corrosion on end of swivel bracket where it attaches to steering system. Do the motor mount bolts normally come loose without any problems such as breaking or stripping? Should any heat be needed?

Comment

normally no ,they do have locktieght .the top mounts stay in power head,
        (corrosion on end of swivel bracket where it attaches to steering system)
        never seen one rusted that bad,you in salt water ?

Comment

Yes, I fish in the gulf of Mexico, I have twin df 115,s on a catamaran , they both have bad corrosion where they connect to steering, this is the only area of corrosion on engines , I have flushed and wash engines after each use, makes me wonder if the connecting bolt between steering bracket and steering system may have been of different metals which I have heard will cause excessive corrosion especially in salt water, The corrosion is to the point I feel unsafe about the integrity of the metal where it connects to the seastar steering system so I feel I need to replace steering bracket. From what you said in a earlier post I need to remove the motor from the boat , should I leave swivel bracket attached to boat or remove the motor and then remove the swivel bracket from the motor? Im assuming once the steering bracket is replaced it would be easier to attach swivel bracket to engine and then mount the motor to boat rather than try to mount engine to swivel bracket while swivel bracket is still attached to boat?

Comment

i would leave it bolted to the boat,if your just replaceing the steering bracket .you have the trim and tilt power to adjust the angle.they line up pretty easy.leave the swivel on the boat .the bottom piece that holds the steering bracket on is going tobe hard coming off most of the time

Comment

bezerk thanks again for your replies , I going to tackle this in the near future

Comment

I have one of the engines loose from swivel bracket with the steering bracket out. Should I replace bushings for steering shaft? Do I need to replace motor mount nuts,washers or just use some Loctite on nuts ? Any certain type of Loctite I need to use? Hope the other motor goes as smooth as this one. Thanks again for advice

Comment

any locktite is fine .i would use old bushings if they look ok .but new are about 10.00 each

Comment

I have completed 1 motor and have started on the 2nd one. I am having a problem with one of the upper mount bolts stuck in the steering bracket, the nut came off fine but the bolt is stuck in steering bracket, I guess from corrosion. Will it hurt to heat steering bracket? or is that to close to motor mount. Any suggestions ? Thank for previous replies and any that may help with this.

Comment

little heat should be fine . might want to cut a grove in it without hitting bolt ,then try to split it open with a chisel a little .your replaceing it anyways ?

Comment

I had thought about cutting a grove but was having trouble figuring out what to use to make the cut with it being a tight spot unless you meant with cutting torch which I don't have but could borrow if necessary. Thanks for your replies.

Comment

I have completed replacing both steering brackets on my DF 115's. I ended up cutting a groove in 2nd bracket with a dremel tool, it worked well with a fiberglass disc, then opening groove with chisel . Thanks for your help and replies bezerk you saved me a healthy labor bill . Thanks again

Comment

glad it worked out .thanks for the end results

Comment

One more question . I had to take hydraulic steering loose in order to connect steering cylinder back to steering bracket, I notice the nuts on each end of cylinder were lock nuts , should I replace these or can I re-use them maybe with lock-tite on threads?

Comment

Working...
                              X