DF50-Frequent missing-fuel system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF50-Frequent missing-fuel system?

I have a DF50 manufactured in 2005 with approximately 250 hours. It has been maintained well and the fuel system cleaned several times to solve missing problems. I have a 2 micron Racor pre-filter and the low pressure filter is very clean and has been changed. Gas is clean. Fuel stabilizer and injector cleaner added to the gas seems to help but does not solve the problem. Often the engine starts to miss and the RPM's fall way off. Playing with the throttle improves it. Sometimes it runs fine, then starts to miss and cannot make higher RPM's. It behaves like a fuel problem rather than ignition. What is the most likely fuel system problem? Is there something I can try first before removing the intake manifold and servicing the high pressure pump? Since this problem seems to re-occur often, I would love to learn how to trouble shoot the fuel system efficiently.

Check your venting on the fuel tank. You can check by simply opening the fuel fill cap. It could be that you're creating a vacuum in the tank, causing a problem with the fuel feed.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

I have an '04 DF50, with identical problem. Same Racor filter. Changed annually, engine serviced annually. Used fuel additive (Stabil) with every fill-up. Boat does not sit-up for long periods. I've been very careful about avoiding fuel problems. Just had mechanic tell me it will cost 1400 -1800 to replace fuel system. Pumps, seperators, etc. I am very skeptical considering the care I've taken to avoid fuel problems. I'll be watching this thread. Hopefully, we'll find a solution.
      Mike, thanks for your suggestion. I'll try it before I drop 1.5K to "parts changer".

Comment

Yeah, unfortunately changing out parts seem to be the modus operandi these days. It seems to me that with even a modicum of reasonable care such parts should not be giving trouble so soon in the life of a motor. And then they wonder why it didn't fix the problem......must be another part that needs replacing
        Mike
        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

I agree with Mike in checking the fuel tank venting..
          I did not experience a problem running.. My biggest vent problem was filling up the tank.. I won't bore you with the details but one day when it warmed up.. the fuel expanded and cleaned out the vent.. seems that spiders had made a home in the vent opening..
          After that, I have not had problems filling up the tank again..
          Something else to look at anyway..

Art..

Comment

Thanks for the responses. The vent cap is fine and the flow from the boat tank through the Racor is OK as I put in a short section of clear vinyl gas line and see no bubbles. In addition, it occasionally runs great. I too am tired of paying so much to clean this when it reoccurs. When I first purchased the new engine, it stopped running properly and the dealer found many metal chips in the system. They must have been there from manufacturing as I do not see how any could pass the Racor however it was not covered under warranty. I have had the system cleaned 2 times since then and would like to learn how to do it and save some time and money to haul it to a service shop. The manual explains the testing and removal of the high pressure pump, however I was hoping to avoid quite so much work until I have checked out any other easy items.

Dave

Comment

Dave. Have you had someone check the fuel injectors?
              Especially if you have had metal particles on the fuel system
              I don't know a lot about injectors personally except in cars but would think if you have had foreign stuff in the fuel system something could have got in there that fuel treatments won't take out
              Art

Comment

Fuel Problems

I guess I got some bad fuel. I drained the tank today and fuel was yellow and smelled bad. I could use some advice. Mechanic said 1800. for whole new fuel system but, I'm hoping I can do some of this myself. Could use some advice.

Comment

Originally posted by redaye View Post
                  I guess I got some bad fuel. I drained the tank today and fuel was yellow and smelled bad. I could use some advice. Mechanic said 1800. for whole new fuel system but, I'm hoping I can do some of this myself. Could use some advice.
                  The yellow fuel sounds like phase separation - ethanol / fuel separation. Could have caused some damage - see link below:

Phase Separation in Ethanol Blended Gasoline

Comment

Working...
                  X