DT 55 ignition question........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DT 55 ignition question........

I just got a 1994 DT55 2 stroke and have had to replace the CDI.......did not have one. My question is this.......while I was cleaning up under the flywheel area before I fired her I noticed that one of the coils had a been hit by something and had about six or seven wires that were cut through. My guess is that the mechanics that were checking it out dropped one of the screws that held the cover on down into the flywheel and did not notice?Any way I think that a cover screw got flung into the coil and cut it. I purchased a new coil thinking it was the Primary coil and found out when it showed up that it was actually the battery charge coil that was cut......now I need to order that coil. Will the motor start and run with the battery coil not hooked up?? I want to start the motor and make sure that the CDI and primary coil work before I start throwing more money and parts at this thing.Does it really need the battery coil to run or do I need to get it and installed before the motor will run???

I am new but I to have a 1996 dt55 without spark. When I pulled my flywheel I put the 3 bolts to deep from the puller and scraped both the ignition and battery coils and have to replace both to continue to try and find my no spark issue. Did you pull the flywheel?

Comment

Yes I pulled the flywheel.....that's when I saw the cut charging coil. My motor did run before I replaced the CDI and primary ignition coil......I got the motor from my brother after he passed away and when he had it would start and run for about 10 seconds then shut off. the marine outfit my brother took the motor to for this problem said the CDI was bad and my bro gave up on the motor because of the price of the CDI (800+ dollars). I figured the outboard was worth the CDI price seeing that it only had a few hours on it.
      the motor has excellent starting spark, high compression , fuel preasure is good , evervything does what it's supposed to do for about 10 seconds......then it just shuts off.......wait 20 or so minutes and it fires right up and runs again for 10 seconds then shuts off again. several mechanics have told me the same thing......CDI is done.Why it went out is they all agree that the when the motor got deep sixed after some previouse owner did the old "forget the plug routine" that the CDI shorted out? Thats all I know.

Comment

Working...
      X