2012 DF 150 Oil Pressure Gage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 DF 150 Oil Pressure Gage

I have digital gages with my twin 2012 DF 150 engines and would like to monitor oil pressure. Do I have to add on separate gages or can this be added to the digital gage through some type of cable to the engine?

Suzuki does not support oil pressure via any digital means. The only way to monitor oil pressure is going to require you to design your own system. I have thought of doing this, but it would require an adaptor to allow the present oil pressure switch to remain intact, so that the ECM still gets the right signals. A correctly threaded T-fitting should work, with an additional sending unit, wired to a gauge completely independent of any wiring you already have. It would be done the same way that you would add an oil pressure gauge to a car that had only idiot lights. Alternatively, if there is a brand of oil pressure sender/gauge that will send info through the NMEA 2000 network, you wouldn't have to run a wire all the way from the engine to the console. But I haven't checked into what's available along those lines. But for sure, I know that Suzuki doesn't support it through their SMIS. You might notice that Suzuki doesn't even offer an oil pressure gauge in its instrument lineup. The only reason that oil pressure is included as a possible gauge in the SMIS multi-function gauge is that the gauge is made by Lowrance (it's an LMF-400 with Suzuki's nameplate on it) and it is used on several brands of outboards and inboards, some of which are capable of sending oil pressure information.

After a quick search, Lowrance makes the EP-90R pressure sensor for it's LMF-400. The sensor has a hose barb fitting, though, so you'd have to figure out a way to plumb it to the DF150. I have a DF150, too, and might just look into this.
    Last edited by Harper; 02-01-2014, 05:22 PM.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Thanks Mike for your reply. I have the LMF 400 digital gages and do not remember seeing the mention of the oil pressure gage in the setup. After reviewing the Lowrance literature on the gage I see that they do have the oil pressure gage you mentioned. That would require running a oil resistant hose material from a tee line on the current oil pressure sender unit. Might be risky to have a small hose with two hose clamps, risk loosing hose clamp or coming off and the losing oil pressure. I am going to call Suzuki Tech service and see what size engine that gage would be recommended for. Not had any contact with their tech service but will give it a try. Boat is in storage right now until end of April, I live in Michigan and lakes are frozen right now with the cold weather we are having this winter. It comes out of storage at end of April to prepare for launch the 1st of May. We fish for salmon, Lk trout and walleye so we troll between 1-2.5 mph with the engines idling at 650 rpm so I would like to read oil pressure. Twin 150's are on a 26' Twin Vee Express hull cat. If I have to I could go with the automotive type oil pressure gage.

Comment

Mike:
        Since you also have the DF 150 engine have you done a valve lash on the engine. I am at 220 engine hours and wondering how difficult of a job it is. Looks like shims are added to make up for any wear that is occurring. Engines are running quiet as they were when I first run them with no valve noise, hardly hear them idling. They do recommend a valve lash check at 200 engine hours.
        I ordered the service manual and hope they have a good procedure in manual.

Comment

Artdf175 has done the adjustment on the tappets.......(where are you, Art?).....I've not done it yet. Check this thread http://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/s...6-69310-a.html

In it Art correctly assesses the goofy price that Suzuki wants for a little piece of angle iron to depress the tappets so the shim can be removed and replaced with an appropriate size. Art made his own tool, and I'm getting ready to fabricate one myself. I've measured my clearance and the intakes were all a little tight, so I'll need to remedy that. The exhausts were all good. I have right at 200 hours on my engine.

I forget how many hours Art has on his DF175, but he found several of his clearances to be less than zero, meaning that the valves were not completely closing. Checking the clearances is straightforward....it's the replacement of the shims that gets complicated, unless of course, you want to spend $400 for the tool. But I expect that making a tappet depressor that works will not be too difficult.
          Mike
          μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Also, regarding the oil pressure sender. I haven't looked at the location of the Suzuki sender, and seen what kind of clearance is available under the engine cover, but disregarding any problem there, I would think that you'd be safe with the T-fitting and a very short hose to the Lowrance EP-90R (just long enough to fit onto the two barbs and be clamped, say 1-1/2 inches). No sense in running any longer hose than needed.
            Mike
            μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Working...
            X