Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electrolysis of power trim and tilt

Hi

I have been having major problems with electrolysis eating away my hydraulic rams on the ptt. I fitted brand new rams 8 weeks ago and they are already defunct (dear do!) I bought the boat just a few months previous and those rams went the same way. Looking at anodes now, not quite sure about salt/freshwater. Any help out there?? My boat is currently in salt water. Many thanks

John

Zincs and aluminum anodes for salt water. Magnesium and aluminum for fresh. Don't know which motor you have, but the midsized four strokes used in salt water have a large ingot of zinc mounted on the bottom of the mounting bracket, one aluminum disc on the swivel bracket, and two zinc wafers on the lower unit just behind the water intake. In addition there are a number of internal aluminum anode discs (five total internal anodes in the DF150/175). Also inspect the bonding wires on the motor and mount.

Is your boat usually left in the water at a marina or your own private dock? If so there may be a lot of stray A/C electricity causing your problems. Could be that someone needs to check the electrical system at the mooring site..
    Last edited by Harper; 02-19-2014, 06:36 PM.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

electrolysis

Hi

My boat is moored in a marina and is a dt 65hp oil injected 2 stroke suzuki and the electrolysis is eating the rams away, brand new ones within a couple of month. Can you just dangle anodes anywhere? And which ones are the best for the problem?? Thanks for your help

Comment

Dangling anodes won't do any good. Your motor has anodes attached to specific locations on the motor and mount. If you're in Durham, NC and boating in fresh water, you need to use magnesium anodes. Your manual should tell you where the anodes are located. If you don't have a manual, get one, or get the motor to a qualified outboard shop and get them to check the condition of the anodes and ensure that they are Mg and not Zn. If you don't fix the problem, you're just going to run into more issues and greater expenses. Check with other boaters who use that marina and see if they are having similar problems. If they are, you all need to get the marina operator to check for stray A/C leaks. It could well be a safety issue as well.

I'm guessing that you are not familiar with your motor, and where the anodes are located, or if there is anything left of the anodes that should be there. Anodes get eaten away over time. That's what they're there for. You need to pay attention to certain maintenance areas on your boat and your outboard, and anodes is one of those important areas. I also suspect that there are issues with the marina's electrical wiring to eat away the rams in that short of a time, with or without anodes. If the marina owner/operator refuses to check it out, get the code enforcement people involved.
        Last edited by Harper; 02-20-2014, 05:59 PM.
        Mike
        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Working...
        X