DT30C problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DT30C problems

I have a 1989 DT30C that i have had in to a mechanic a couple times now and i believe he just is not the answer to getting this thing running. Every time i get trash that migrates into the carbs.

It runs good at high speed right now but will not run at a low speed (idle) under load. Then when i shut it down its a bear to get it started again.

So i plan to work on it myself.

1) What do i need to do to ensure the crabs are clean. What steps do i take to pull them off and clean them out? Do i need to totally tear them down and soak the carbs?

2) I plan to replace the old fuel tank, fuel line, primer bulb, fuel filter, and clean the fuel pump and replace the diaphragms. Anything else i need to look into?

Thank you in advance for the help and guidance.

Best to remove jets and soak carbs, blow out all passages and jets with compressed air to get all debris out.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

I have been rebuilding a set of DT30 carbs myself and I have done this many times over the years but I can say I will never clean another set of carbs except this way.

I went to Harbor Freight and bought one of their Ultra Sonic Cleaners, the one that has the heat function, I think it was around $75, but used a 20% off coupon. I took the carbs apart; removed the bowl, jets, float, needle and anything else i may have forgot. I mixed up Simple Green and water (per the instructions on the bottle), put the carbs in and turned it on 480 seconds w/ heat. I ran them through two 480 sec cycles and when they came out they were spotless.

I then put the carb and all the parts in a bucket/bowl and covered them with 2cycle oil and let them soak, then dunked/rinsed everything in gas, blew everything out with compressed air and put it all back together.

Yes I know this seems like a process, but I would dare you to find a cleaner set of carbs.

I do think you are on the right path with replacing the tank........would definitely get a plastic tank. That has to be where the trash is coming from.

Comment

Working...
      X