Steep motor angle....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steep motor angle....

Just purchased a boat a few months ago, and are getting wiered comments about my motor angle. The pic is my motor fully trimmed in, the problem I have is I am nearly operating in the fast trim or "tilt" stage to get the boat to plane.
    Does anyone know if you can adjust the trim motor to go slower for longer, if that makes sense or will i be looking at wedging the motor out.

Cheers,
    Russell
    Attached Files

Holy cow! You're getting weird comments because your motor is at a weird angle. Why would a manufacturer make an outboard powered boat with a transom at that angle?!? I think some mounting modification will be required. I know of no way to adjust the trim/tilt threshold that you mention.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

I agree with Mike. That is a seriously weird angle on the boat's transom.

Is that some kind of "poly" boat, constructed from plastic?? Like the Australian Polycraft boats?

I suppose there are a couple of things to think about.

Firstly, we could assume that the nature of that hull requires such a strange transom angle, and that, despite how it looks, the boat can perform properly. Yes, i know that is, on the face of it, a doubtful proposition!

But maybe the manufacturer has it right and the hull style is "special" and needs a lot of negative trim..........

Russell, normally, as you would know, the engine is initially trimmed in when accelerating up onto the plane, then progressively trimmed out once planing speed is achieved until the boat reaches its "sweet spot".

Can you give us more info - if you start accelerating with the engine trimmed all the way in like in the photo, what does the boat do? And, what trim angle do you need to use to sensibly get it onto the plane, and finally, how far trimmed out do you need to go to get to the boats sweet spot?

Secondly, if it is actually as weird as we all think, and in fact it is not a required feature of the hull to be run with such a large amount of negative trim, then maybe a big wedge under the engine bracket might be required to get it to a sensible angle!
      Last edited by Moonlighter; 03-18-2014, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Trim

I'm thinking that if you require so much negative trim to get out of the water you may be over proped

Comment

Cheers Moonlighter,
          Yes it is a Polycraft boat and that is the standard transom angle. The boat seems to handle ok when taken off from this position, to get up on the plane the motor is trimmed out a fair way. I am almost in the fast tilt section. I have played around a bit when moving but when I slow down and the motor is trimmed in, water just about comes over the cowling seal which cant be a good thing. I have spoken to alot of dealers here and they seem to scratch thier heads at why it is like this. Their suggestion is that the motor bracket (i have a DF115) ,maybe the wrong design for my transom, so now Im not sure if that can be changed lol.. Have got hold of suzuki and asking questions via the local dealer now.....

the saga continues...

Comment

I am not familiar with Poly Craft but have you seen any other Poly Craft boats, what do they look like?

Comment

Home | Polycraft

Comment

Working...
              X