Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmin GMI-20

Hi All
    Looking at replacing my gauges (Suzuki Commander/Faria) with a Garmin GMI-20 in order to get fuel flow etc via NMEA2000 interface.
    Motor is a 2004 DF250 I have read the posts about different software versions for older motor interface cables & adapters (thanks moonlighter & Harper )
    Question- Has any one used these display's? Any problems?
    I am leaning towards this display over the Lowerance LMF400's due to them accepting NMEA 0183 data from my sounder / GPS,
    Local Zook dealers here in Australia seem to lean towards these display's (probably because they are more expensive and they make a bigger margin)
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

They are great from all reports. Significant improvement on the GMI-10s that they replaced. Mate just had 2 installed on his brand new boat connected to twin Suzuki DF115A's. He is absolutely wrapt with them so far.

Question: what do you need NMEA 0183 for?

Unless your GPS/Sounder combo is ancient (!) or is not NMEA 2000 compliant ie Furuno or Humminbird a couple of years old?) then you will most likely be able to connect the GPS/sounder combo unit to the network via NMEA 2000 very simply: just add a T piece and a drop cable from the combo to the NMEA 2000 network. Then there would be no need for 0183 connections.

Perhaps you could tell us the model of the GPS/sounder combo you have?

The alternatives to this are:

1. to just get an NMEA 2000 certified antenna and connect it to the N2K network. Or

2. Here's an even better option: Buy a Lowrance HDS5 combo unit, or just a HDS5m (GPS ONLY) and dash mount it where your gauges are now. Unless you have a full cabin boat the inbuilt GPS antenna will work fine.

Gives you a 5" display, plus then you also get a backup GPS and sounder as well (with the combo.)

The GMI 20 is about $620 here in Aus.

A HDS5 gen 2 combo is about $850 including a 83/200 ducer, and the HDS5m GPS is $760. So for not much more than the Garmin, you get a 5" full colour screen compared to the Garmin 4" screen, and you get a internal GPS antenna that will give you position data etc and the HDS will connect to your N2K network with a simple cable. Customizable pages, basically, everything you could possibly need.

Plus, if you ever need to update the software on your network or the Suzuki interface, you can do it via the SD card slot in the HDS.

I currently have 2 x HDS 5s gen 1 on my network. One is a GPS, the other a sounder. Im thinking about getting a new Simrad Nss 7/8 or a HDS 8 to use as a big screen sounder, and if I do that i am planning on keeping the current HDS 5 sounder and dash mounting it and using it as an engine data display only.

This is just one of the 4 engine data pages you can get. Every gauge is customizable to show a number of different things:

Last edited by Moonlighter; 03-18-2014, 05:19 AM.

Comment

I agree with all you've said, Grant. As I stated in an earlier post, had I known as much about the different capabilities of Garmin vs. Lowrance, I would have gone with the Lowrance from the get-go.

But it could be the that the reason argyloid wants the NMEA 0183 capability is that the Garmin units are very limited in what info is transmitted via NMEA 2000. Garmins will receive everything that most units will, but will not transmit GPS data via NMEA 2000; all GPS data is transmitted via NMEA 0183. In my opinion, that alone is the biggest single drawback with Garmin. (Now I'm just assuming that Lowrance HDS units will transmit GPS data via both NMEA 0183 and 2000.)

I just looked at the manuals online of the newest Garmin units, and they haven't changed.....they will transmit most sonar data via NMEA 2000, but still using NMEA 0183 to transmit GPS. That's the reason that I'm unable to use the economy speed function or any such function requiring GPS data on my Suzuki/Lowrance SMIS gauge. It doesn't receive any GPS data from my Garmin chartplotter. I have to use the chartplotter itself for such things as cruising range/economy speed readouts.

In any case, you've given argyloid some food for thought. If it were me, and money already spent and money available allowed it, I'd opt for the Lowrance HDS setup.
      Last edited by Harper; 03-18-2014, 10:41 AM.
      Mike
      μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Thanks for replies, My sounder/ gps Doesn't support engine functions (Raymarine A70, it came out on the next model,) and as it works fine there is no need to spend more $$,
        Lowerance sounders/GPS units, I have had a bad run with their screens fogging in the past (6 units replaced under warranty in 2 years, as well as their Navico fuel flow units failing) so I am not sure of reliability.
        Valid point on being able to do updates via SD cards with the HDS units. I will have to do more research.
        Nmea 0183 output from GPS/ Sounder is to give Nav,depth, water temp etc data to Garmin GMI-20.
        Moonlighter I have read you posts on Suzuki interface cable software versions and I wish my local Zook dealer would read them! They had no idea and still can't give me a price on just the cables, they want to do the whole install.

Comment

If your local Zuke dealer cant supply the cables etc there are 2 options:

1. Contact another dealer. My local guy Jon Eadie is a guru on this stuff and will sort you out. Bayside Suzuki Marine at Cleveland, Qld. He is listed on the Haines Suzuki marine website under their dealer listing.

2. Buy from the interweb! I got cables recently from ebay seller Precision suzuki Marine, their prices were good and their postage charges from US to Aus much better than those quoted by others like Brownspoint. Paypal too. Saved a heap compared to Aussie prices.

You would only need to buy the interface cable and SDS adapter cable from one of those places.

Just ask them to pre-load the interface cable with the software version 2.30 because that will work with your engine year. Also, ask them to pre-configure the cable with your engine hp, model, year and setup (ie one engine, one fuel tank). You need to get that done on V 2.30 because it doesnt auto-detect this stuff,whereas later versuon software does. But the later software will give you crazy fuel flow rates on your older engine, as several people on this site will tell you!

The reason to get it pre-configured by the seller is that the cable software has to be configured by a Lowrance or Suzuki device such as a HDS or a LMf400 or Suzuki SMIS gauge. And since you dont have any of these on your boat, need to get it pre-configured for you.

You can get all the other stuff you need to create the N2K network by purchasing locally a NMEA 2000 starter kit from the likes of BIAS Boating, BCF or Whitworths. Far, far cheaper than buying the parts individually.

The most common kits are made by Lowrance, also Garmin makes a kit, and they all use the same plugs so they all connect to any NMEA 2K devices, so it doesnt matter which of those 2 brands kits you get. Lowrance a bit less expensive last time I checked. Jon Eadie may also be able to supply you with a Garmin starter kit as he is also a Garmin dealer.

Lowrance did have some issues with water intrusion in the very early HDS units. Ive had mine now for 4-5 years and no dramas. Havent heard any reports of fogging/water intrusion for quite a long time.

Cheers

Grant

Comment

Thanks Grant for that information, I have seen your other posts about software versions for older motors,very helpfull
            So if I get LMF400 guages ( instead af Garmin)and interface cable programmed with V2.3 software I should then be able to set everything up myself?. i.e motor size,fuel tank etc.etc.
            I am still not sure which way to go (I have a post on THT asking for peoples experience with either Gmi-20 or LMF400's)
            I will probably talk to your local dealer as another dealer in NSW is quoting over $500 just for cables !!
            Makes it an expensive guage.
            Many thanks
            Tony

Comment

Tony

Yes, once you get the interface cable with V2.30 installed, you can do the configuration using the LMF400 gauge. Easy to do.

Jon will qoute you on everything if you go with Garmin - the GMI, interface cable, adapter cable and N2K starter kit. Tell him I recommended him!

Grant Bennett

Comment

Thanks for that Grant,
                I will be ringing him shortly.
                Tony

Comment

Working...
                X