Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• synthetic?

do you guys use synthetic? I have df140 and 9.9 kicker

Always...in my DF150, my car, truck, tractor, everything I own.
    Last edited by Harper; 03-21-2014, 10:15 PM.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Yes. Suzuki here in Australia and elsewhee in the world have a partnership with Motul and have a synthetic blend Motul branded as Suzuki. Available her in 10W30 and 10W40.

Its the only oil that goes into my DF115.

Comment

Originally posted by Harper View Post
        Always...in my DF150, my car, truck, tractor, everything I own.
        I'm a big fan myself as my Tundra has been on Mobil 1 full syn for it's entire life. I have been wondering though on my 04 df 250 if it would be a good move to swap. I have been running Rotella for years with 1700+ hours with no probems. Everything is pretty tight except for a light chain noise and some slight seepage on the bottom shaft seal. With the kind of success I've been having is there an advantage to swapping? If so, what about risks?

Comment

I don't see any risks at all. I assume you've seen the inside of the engine in that amount of time, and that with regular changes, your engine should be clean, as you would know by the looks of things under the cylinder head covers when checking bucket clearance periodically. I truly see only advantages, though I know some would say that the extra cost of synth isn't worth it to them, and there are even the diehards who will post articles supporting their opinions. I speak only of my own experience and for that matter, trust nothing but my own experience. And most producers of synth oils have a marine product.

I have a Jeep Comanche 4x4 pickup, 1990, mine since new. I pull 4000# of boat and trailer with it 500 miles round-trip 6-7 times/year to the gulf. the truck has 250K miles on it, has had nothing but synth in it since break-in, engine, auto xmsn, and differentials. Never a tear down, original bearings, cams, lifters, valves, etc...... gets 20 MPG normally, 11 MPG towing the boat @ 60 MPH (lots of wind resistance 20' CC with a T-top). I've basically beaten the darling truck to death, but wouldn't trade it for the world. It just runs and runs and runs and runs.......
          Last edited by Harper; 03-24-2014, 03:35 PM.
          Mike
          μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

synthetic

thanks for all the info and input, the reason I asked is the zuki dealer said he heard some folks losing power because the oil is too slippery and the rings wont seat. hmmm

Comment

Rings seating might still be a problem with some new outboards using synth oil, but I doubt it. The thing is, it used to be that you needed to break an engine in first, then switch to the synth. That's the reason for my statement above about using nothing but synth in my truck since break-in (it was new in 1990). Today's cars come to the dealer new with synthetic oil in the crankcase, having been through enough of a break-in period at the factory. They still recommend an early oil change the first time.

Now, the Suzuki motors are also delivered with a synthetic blend in the motor, assuming your dealer filled it with Suzuki's own brand (it is a synth blend). The first oil change on my DF150 was with Suzuki oil. The 100 hour change, and every subsequent change was with Amsoil synthetic marine oil, and will be from now on.

What I'm saying is if your motor has 100 hours on it, it's broken in enough to switch now to full synth. Your mechanic is either citing some folks who put synth in right away, and did so a number of years ago, before synth was in common usage, or he is merely repeating what now must be considered an old wives' tale that no longer applies. The Amsoil that I use, and Royal Purple, which a lot of folks use, are both good synthetics that are developed specifically for marine engines, and meet every manufacturers' requirements. Both also make a synthetic marine gear lube.
              Last edited by Harper; 03-24-2014, 11:54 PM.
              Mike
              μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Here's an item I ran across this morning, a pretty good read on oils.....doesn't address outboards specifically, but interesting in any case...... Synthetic Oil - Boat Talk - Chaparral Boats Owners Club
                Mike
                μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

I went 300 hrs then did the switch to synthetic.

Comment

Do any of you go more than 100 hrs between changes with synthetic? My DF 250 had 300 hrs when I bought it, dealer just changed oil. I changed to synthetic at 400 hrs. Wondering if I can go 150 hrs on syn & the mild crusing/fishing I do. Roy

Comment

Working...
                    X