Noise with engine off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise with engine off

Hi I have twin DT65's last time I took the boat out I was lucky to get back in as my batteries were flat, I thought this somewhat unusual.

Once on sure I was removing my bungs and could hear a whirring noise coming from one of the shut down engines.

I removed the cowling and the sound was near the starter motor, I tapped around the starter solenoid and the sound stopped!

Could it be a solenoid problem or something else?

If it is the solenoid the part number is Hitachi MS5C-281-1 12v. Where is the best place for me to source one of these or a compatible equivalent please?

I'm still hoping someone can help me with this?

Comment

to start with -I am not familar with your motor
      however.. the question would be has the problem continued?
      if you think about the sequence to get the starter solenoid energized.. starts with the ignition key... goes through the ECM relay to the starter
      so you would want to check the ignition key.. is it sticking in the start position -- is the relay in the ECM bad..stuck open.. and then the starter solenoid.. if it is just a one time event, like some electrical issues--just makes it even more difficult to track down..
      good luck..
      Art..

Comment

Sounds like a sticking starter solanoid to me. The fact that a tap stopped it backs it up. The started moto might also be pooly if its been running continually for some time, they are only made for short bursts.

Comment

Working...
        X