Engine oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine oil

What is the best way to check engine oil. Can't get a good reading on dipstick

Which motor, and why can you not get a good reading?
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Df 70. Get oil on dipstick above where marking are

Comment

Then the only way I know would be to drain the oil completely, pull the filter and drain it, too, if it's new and you intend to keep it for awhile, otherwise replace it. Then fill with the proper amount according to your manual's specifications for an oil and filter change, and run the motor for a couple of minutes to fill the filter and distribute the oil, shut the engine down, let it sit for a couple minutes, then check the level on the dipstick, and from that point on, use that level as your fill point. You can use a scribe to mark a line in the dipstick or just reference the level to some marking already there. In doing this, make sure your motor is fairly level, and in my saying all these things, I am assuming you know that you have not over-filled it in the first place.
        Last edited by Harper; 03-24-2014, 11:58 PM.
        Mike
        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

May have found problem. Looks like there is a leak from the hose that goes up to one of the sensors. Recently checked the dip stick after running it and now it looks like there is little or no oil on it. Anyone think I could loose that much oil with out knowing. Doesn't seem possible to loose 4 quarts of oil and not see it everywhere. Anyone have any thoughts. Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X