Suzuki Expert Needed df175

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki Expert Needed df175

I have a mechanic putting together my 06 df175 that I took apart. I had to put new just about everything. He got it put together but now he says it has low oil pressure at idle. He is 100% sure he has the main bearings correct. He plasti gauged them and had another guy double check him. New oil pump, new pistons, mains bearings, rod bearings, pistons, rings, etc, etc. A complete rebuild. Reason for rebuild was water was in oil and sat in the motor. Threw a rod bearing. I found a good used crankshaft to replace mine. Just can't understand why low oil pressure with him being so sure about the bearings being correct. Any ideas on what else to check before he has to tear back apart. Its warming up out side and I would love to able to get out on the water soon. Thanks

Probably need to remove pressure sensor and install oil pressure gauge to see what the oil pressure is.
    Last edited by boats.net; 04-11-2014, 10:48 AM.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
      Probably need to remove pressure sesor and install oil pressure gauge to see what the oil pressure is.
      I would hope, if he's any kind of decent mechanic, that he already checked the oil pressure with a gauge, else he would not be stating that it was low at idle. Only thing I can think of would be to check the new oil pump, check all the clearances, radial clearance, and side clearance on the rotors. the oil flow chart shows a pressure regulator, but I'll be darned if I know where that might be. It's possible you got a bad pump. Also, when you say everything was replaced, I assume you mean cam and balancer bearings, too? Was the VVT actuator also inspected or replaced?
      Mike
      μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

He put a gauge on to check the pressure. The balancer bearings were also replaced. As far as the vvt I assume he did. What does the vvt do? I dont have my book. Is that the electrical part below the head?

Comment

VVT.....variable valve timing. It's the only difference between the DF150 and DF175, and accounts for the extra 25HP. The timing is controlled by oil pressure, and valves in the actuator advance and retard the valve timing. That's it in a nutshell, all part of the system requiring oil pressure to work. And as such another part of the lubrication system to inspect for irregularities. I'm not very familiar with the DF175 or the VVT system, but it does include an oil control valve at the bottom of the cylinder head. That should be checked, and the only other thing that can think of that would involve oil pressure are the timing chain tensioners. I suppose any of those components could cause a loss of oil pressure if way out of tolerance.
          Last edited by Harper; 03-29-2014, 07:35 PM.
          Mike
          μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Thanks for the info. I will talk to the mechanic and pass on the info to him. Maybe that can point him in the right direction. I'll let y'all know.

Comment

Well I picked up my boat today. The "mechanic" never figured out the reason for the low oil pressure at idle. Now it is up to me and all the help I can get from the internet. Does anyone have the oil passages and/or flow of the oil for these motors? I need to start somewhere.

Comment

Best I can do is this chart from the manual..do you have the oil pressure figures at idle and other RPMs from the mechanic?
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Harper; 04-09-2014, 10:16 PM.
                Mike
                μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Originally posted by mike35292 View Post
                  Well I picked up my boat today. The "mechanic" never figured out the reason for the low oil pressure at idle. Now it is up to me and all the help I can get from the internet. Does anyone have the oil passages and/or flow of the oil for these motors? I need to start somewhere.
                  so, are you telling us he just handed it back not fixed?

Comment

Yep, he just gave up, some mechanic. Wasn't free, and he was trying to make money still. I don't expect people to work for free, but if the job is not complete or not done right I don't see how he can expect to earn anything. Just my opinion. The thing is, around here, (South Texas) not to many good things said about a lot of shops. There are some good ones, but seems like I have tried all the bad ones. Gonna try and figure this out with the help of people online instead. Thanks for the info in advance.

Comment

Well i pulled the powerhead and there are metal shavings in my oil. Not good. I hope it didnt mess up my crank too bad. Any ideas on why this would happen during a rebuild?

Comment

It is hard to say without actually seeing the motor in pieces, but it COULD be from work done before re-assembly and not being washed properly!

Comment

I tore the motor apart and found bad main bearings. The numbers on the crank are 11122 and the numbers on the block are k0201 bbbbc. Just want to double check to make sure Im ordering to right bearings.

Comment

The tech working on this before would be flipping the bill for the bearings and gaskets or seeing me in small claims.

Comment

Working...
                            X