DF-25 help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF-25 help

I have a 2008 df-25 four stroke. In the fall it started running pretty rough and had a cyclical rumbling that I could feel through the boat. Also, I was checking the oil regularly and noticed I was "making oil" and it had a strong gas smell to it. Decided to take it in to the local marine mechanic. After going through the motor, he told me he was getting 75 psi out of both cylinders, but it took 12-15 pulls to get it there. His diagnosis was there was either bad rings, head gasket, or pistons/cylinders and the carbs were fine.. After that, I stored the motor inside and decided to wait until spring to fix. Now the time has come, and I am wondering what kind of cost would be involved if all of that had to be fixed. He said he was not going to mess with it since he doesn't deal with Suzuki's and has a hard time getting parts. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Forgot to mention that the motor is a V-twin. Also noticed that last fall, I couldn't jump out of the hole without the motor bogging down. I had to ease it into WOT.

Comment

Bit of an update. I did a compression test the other day and had 85psi in cylinder 1 and 75psi in cylinder 2. I got a service manual and it said acceptable psi was 71-100 with a max difference of 14. I thought this was extremely low for a four stroke so I put a shot of heavy oil in each cylinder and it jumped up to 130 in cylinder 1 and 112 in cylinder 2. I've been in contact with a local dealer and it seems like a rebuild would be in the 2-2.5k range. Do these compression numbers seem like they are low or acceptable? And should I move on to troubleshoot other possible fixes?

Comment

Working...
      X