SMIS guage fuel economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMIS guage fuel economy

Hello all, I have a 2013 suzuki 300 and am having a problem with the fuel economy mpg. We went to the keys and for some reason the mpg stopped reading and is flashing at 0.0. Anyone have any info on this issue or have it happen to them? The GPS is still reading the speed so I dont think thats it.

Software version I am running is 2.5. I think I read somewhere that a new version is out 2.8(maybe?). Wondering if its worth it to try and stop the issues I have been having with these gauges...

Any info on this issue is appreciated.

These darn suzuki gauges dont seem like they are they best...Seems like they always have some sort of problem. The other problem I am having is my gph dropping down to 0.0 while running. Doesn't happen all the time. Motor doesnt stall or anything, but the gph will jump from say 10.0 running at 4000 rpm to 0.0 and back up....

Thanks!!
    Last edited by Chech789; 04-01-2014, 03:02 PM. Reason: Typo

Is the 2.5 the software version of the SMIS gauge, or of the engine interface?
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

2.5 is in the system info on the gauge. I had to motor mounted last year in september. I am not sure of the engine interface. Is there away I can tell for sure?

Comment

Okay, that's what I figured. The gauge won't read the software version of the interface. Usually, there's a label on the interface, on the little plastic housing around the middle of the interface cable. My Garmin GPSMAP 546s will readout the software version of the interface, and I presume other NMEA 2000 compatible chartplotters or GPS/fish finder combos will, too. Moonlighter might check in with some more recommendations concerning your problem. We should be able to figure it out, but it'll take a little digging. Just for your info, I had a bad SMIS gauge and it was replaced under warranty after I'd had it about 8 months. So hold onto your receipt, just in case.

Did you buy both the gauge and interface recently? If so, you probably got the latest software for both, 2.5 for the gauge and 2.7 for the interface.

Also, confirm that you are not using a fuel flow sensor in the fuel line, such as the Lowrance EP-10. If so, that would cause a problem with Suzuki engines, in that the fuel flow from the tank to the low pressure fuel pump cycles off and on, causing just what you describe. You have to get your fuel flow information to the gauge via the engine interface for the gauge to work with Suzuki engines.
        Mike
        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Thanks. Yeah I bought both of them at same time when I got it rigged at the shop. They did the whole thing. Just so I understand you, your saying that the cable(interface cable) has a version and the gauges also have a version?

Cable = 2.7?
          Gauage = 2.5?

I do have 2 gauges so maybe I should try the mpg flow on the other gauge and see.

Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Oh and not sure if I confused you but by GPS I ment the GPS that is connected to the motor to give me my speed on the gauge. I dont have it hooked up to any chartplotters. Sorry if I called it a wrong name drawing a blank. GPS Speedometer?...lol

Comment

Yes, each has software versions. What you're reading on the SMIS gauge is the software version of the SMIS gauge itself. What kind of chartplotter do you have?

And the GPS you're getting isn't connected to the motor, per se. I think you mean it is connected to the same cable that connects your motor to the gauges. There is an NMEA 2000 system on your boat. Many things can be connected to this system, and can interact with each other. My guess is that you have a GPS receiver connected to the NMEA 2000 system. The system is referred to as the "backbone" and everything that is attached to it is connected via a "T" fitting. So your SMIS gauge reads the GPS info from the backbone, the same backbone that your engine interface is connected to.

Now, what's with the "two gauges?" Is the gauge that we've been discussing a Suzuki SMIS Multi-function gauge? What other gauge do you have that reads fuel flow?
              Mike
              μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Ah, ok I get the version thing now. And yes you are right. I have an NMEA 2000 system. The gauges are 2 4in Suzuki SMIS Multi-function gauge. I use one SMIS gauge to read fuel flow(gph, mpg, fuel remaining). I think its actually a page you can select. The other SMIS gauge I use to read other things(rpm, temp, fuel level, mph). I was just saying that since you had a problem with your SMIS gauge that maybe I should try to read the mpg on the other gauge.

As for the chartplotter its a old garmin that I am about to replace. Not sure of the model but dig it up.

Comment

All right. That's not a bad idea about checking the other gauge for the fuel flow readout. It sounds like your "old" Garmin is probably not NMEA 2000 capable, so you might have to either check with the dealer who installed the engine and instruments for you, or wait until you have a unit that can read all the components on the NMEA backbone. But seems to me that the dealer should be able to confirm the software version of the interface. Also, if you've recently had this work done, as it seems you have, the dealer should make good on his work, including the equipment that he sold you. So you might want to consider taking it back to him and let him make it right. You obviously have spent a wad of money with him, and he owes you the satisfaction of a properly operating system.
                  Mike
                  μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Yeah im going to try on the other gauge and see if it works. Im out of town until saturday so I cant check until then. My Garmin is not even connected to the NMEA 2000 network. I prob will connect one when I buy a new one. As for the dealer. I had the motor hung last year in September, so its not to recently. And I dont really like them, last time I had a problem with my gauge(Id say about 4 mon ago) they charged me 70 bucks to "reconfigure it". My fuel level stopped reading and they said I had unconfigured the motor....How the hell did I do that???....lol. So I was hopping this could be a quick fix. Maybe "reconfigure" it somehow.

Thanks again for the help.

Comment

My gauge was getting a "checksum error" almost every time I turned the key on. I first went to Lowrance directly, since they are the manufacturer of the gauge, and after several email consultations with them, they determined that the gauge was defective. I then sent the copies of my email correspondence with Lowrance to the Suzuki dealer where I purchased the gauge, and they replaced it free of charge. (They DID want the correspondence, though, as proof of defect and ease the way for their return of the unit to Suzuki).

Every time I got the checksum error message, it had wiped out all the configurations, engine, fuel level source, number of engines, number of fuel tanks, etc. It took me awhile to figure out that it hadn't wiped out the amount of fuel used, since that is stored in the interface and not the gauge. But I did have to reconfigure the gauge each time to once again be able to access that information.

Whether you like the dealer or not, you should make it clear to them that you think the gauge might be faulty, and that you never unconfigured anything. If you can keep an eye out for the things I've pointed out, and definitely pinpoint a faulty reaction when you turn the key on, or any other time the gauge acts up, you should make a note and start keeping track of any faults with the gauge. Suzuki/Lowrance warranty the unit to be free of defects for one year.
                      Last edited by Harper; 04-02-2014, 11:27 AM.
                      Mike
                      μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Thanks. Will def start keeping track. I had the "checksum error" also. Only happen once though. I had to do the same, configure engine, fuel level source, number of engine etc...

So far issues ive had are...

- Check sum error (once, had to reconfigure the boat)
                        - Lose of fuel level (once, had to take it in and get "reconfigured")
                        - gph jumping to 0.0 (intermittent, only after using the boat a few hours)
                        - And now lost mpg (once, still not fixed.)

Looks like I might have to drive an hour to the dealer and have them take a look.

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Sooo...I found my problem for the fuel economy... The fuel economy setup was set to read from the Pilot speed(I think thats the name) instead of the Ground speed. Once I changed back to ground speed it came back up...

Strange it would change by itself but none the less, its fix. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
                          X