No announcement yet.

DF140 been sitting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 140 should be a very nice match to the Haines 17R.

When you get the prop sorted you will find that you are using close to half the fuel of the old 150 2 stroke. Does wonders for the boats range!

I would say that a stainless in 20 or maybe even a 22 would be the go. Might depend on how much weight.

Every inch of pitch is worth around 150-200rpm when comparing like for like props, if you are comparing one alloy prop from same maker to another of same make and model. So if you go up from a 17" to a 20" you could expect to drop about 500-600rpm.

Stainless props have less flex than alloy props and being thinner cut thru water better, more efficient, but less forgiving if you hit some hard object?

Solas also do ally props. Not too bad. But a SS prop will be much better in the long run.

You could also call around some local Suzuki dealers to see what they reckon.

I have texted my local guy, Jon Eadie, at Bayside Suzuki Marine in Cleveland, to ask his opinion. He is very good and will probably be able to tell us straight up the right prop for that boat. He might even have a second-hand one sitting around that you could test. Will let you know if I hear anything back.

Once you know the recommendation, you could source a SS one from the U.S. , they are heaps cheaper than we can get them here.
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 09-29-2014, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Ok, advice received is that the 3x14x20 genuine Suzuki SS would be the go!

He is checking to see if any used ones hiding in his shed. Will PM you with $ if he finds one.

Says they have tested the Solas in same size and genuine Zuke one gives better midrange speed and economy.

Comment

Thanks so much Moonlighter!! That would be great if I could save some $$ after already spending so much (so the wife keeps reminding me) on rebuilding the boat and putting a new motor on.

(just need new bimini and a duck board/swim platform and im done)

Comment

No probs.

I just got a message back to say that he hasn't got any used 14x20's around. They are very popular size, it seems. Maybe keep an eye out on evil-bay, you might get lucky and find someone selling one.

Re bimini, Ray's Canvas and Marine in the industrial estate at the Caboolture/Bribie Is turnoff is one of the best. Does all my canopy and trim work, and also for lots of the members of my fishing club, Power Boat Anglers. Tell him Grant recommended him! He mihpgut be able to help out with duckboard too, possibly.

Comment

Thanks mate! Appreciate your advice!

Comment

Working...
            X