suzuki binnicle shifter HELP...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suzuki binnicle shifter HELP...

I just put a new 175 Suzuki 4 stroke outboard on my boat. I am having a problem with the shifter. It is so stiff that when moving the shift handle from neutral to forward or from neutral to reverse you have to push with such force that you hit 3000 rpm and that is not good when docking in tight quarters and tends to toss the customers around too. It is fine when in gear and moving through the rpm's. I adjusted the tension screw under the cover with no positive results. Could it be cables? It feels like there is a "burr" in the mechanism some where. A washer or spacer in backwards..??? Can anyone give me some thoughts? I am going to see if the dealer can put a different shifter on and I really think the problem will go away.

Thanks.

Russ

Probably a bad cable, disconnect cable from engine and see if can shift motor by hand, recheck cable adjustments.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
      Probably a bad cable, disconnect cable from engine and see if can shift motor by hand, recheck cable adjustments.
      It's always the cables. Check to see that one or both of them has not been installed with some outrageous angle. If you have to replace them buy the best you can afford. I just swapped mine out and cannot believe how much better it was. If they are installed with minimal bending it is almost like fly by wire.

Comment

Unhook your shift cable on the engine. If its still stiff, then its the cable.

Comment

hello- I am amzed that you can put the motor in but you have a question about shifting so may be this will help. there are several areas that will cause this problem they may be lubricated using the green grease (water proof)
          press the black round rubber on binnicle (gas pedal) to disconnect cable now move binnacle back and fort see if you have a problem doing that.
          take the binnicle cover and grease the inside if you see rust best thing to use is pb blaster sold anywhere in usa . open the cowling and lub the parts related to gas cable and shifter cable.
          next middle center of motor there is the shifter rod that goes to lower unit near ptt switch (tilt switch) make sure it is lubed . all these jobs are very basic lub job.
          last your cable could be rusty. my bet is either the shifter rod has rust on it or binnicle needs lub. .good luck
          Last edited by boashna; 06-24-2014, 02:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X