2006 df250 fuel issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 df250 fuel issue

Took the boat out today and had issues running. It would stall out and once I primed the bulb it was ok and had to continuously prime it to keep it running . I was able to go wide open throttle but would run out of fuel . I noticed this engine has a low & high pressure fuel pump . I assume the low pressure is not working . Is there a way to test that pump before making the expensive purchase ? Note I changed the primer bulb and fuel water separator and still have the issue. Thanks

Don't assume, you'll just waste your time and money. Check the tank venting, by either running with the filler cap loose, or from a temporary portable tank setup. Check the fuel lines themselves for free fuel flow between the tank and the engine. Check your fuel filters, a big fuel/water separator filter mounted near the transom, check the low pressure fuel filter on the engine.

Once you've eliminated all these possible sources of your fuel starvation, then you can start checking (not assuming) the low pressure pump and beyond for problems. It's an electric pump, not difficult to analyze. Just make some jumper wires and put 12 volts to it.

Also, if your own investigation turns up nothing concrete, get a dealer or service center to put the motor on a computer and see if it's throwing any codes.
    Last edited by Harper; 04-14-2014, 09:09 AM.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Mike, I will go thru and check these out and start eliminating . Will keep you posted. Thanks

Comment

Ok, this is what I have done .

1. checked the fuel vent tube no blockage.

2. checked fuel flow from tank into fuel/water sep then into the engine past the fuel filter .

3. Unplugged the Low Pressure fuel pump and check voltage . Came is just at 12v

4. Removed the lower pressure pump and bench tested and would not turn on direct wired to a battery.

5. Went ahead and removed the VST and opened up and check the high pressure pump and is working.

Comment

Okay, sounds like you have found a problem with the low pressure pump, as you suspected. But at least you're basing your conclusions on sound analysis instead of assumptions.

Not a cheap part, is it? Best price I can find online is here Search: 15100-94900 | Performance Product Technologies

BTW, can you turn the pump shaft physically? (I'm not sure that it's accessible to attempt. but if so, check and see if it isn't just jammed for some reason, especially if it hums when powered).
          Last edited by Harper; 04-14-2014, 04:43 PM.
          Mike
          μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Mike, I looked inside from the bottom entry and there is a screen . Just for kicks I have sprayed some PB Blast inside and will let it soak for a few hours. Don't know why they are so proud of that part. Yes, that is the best price I have seen so far.

Comment

Naplesrich, I had the same problem with my DF 250 last week. After checking everything I finally found there is a check valve at the top of my gas tank. A steel ball spring loaded, it is inside the barb hose fitting at the elbow at the top of MY tank. Anyway it was sticking, and not allowing the low pressure pump to suck fuel thru. If I pumped the primer bulb the gas would go thru ( most times!) soaked valve in gum out over night & worked fine afterwards. Bought a new one following week. Alls well now. Note, had the same problem a year ago, never found the answer then, changed all filters, hoses etc. The "problem" went away on its own, only to come back a year later! Roy

Comment

Roy, thanks for the info. I will make sure that I take that barb out and maintain it. I will give a update once the new pump is installed . Thanks

Comment

Naples rich, just did a 80 mi round trip to the reefs for some fishing. Fishing not good, bad tides at only time we go. But engine never missed a beat!! That check valve at top of the tank was definitely MY problem. How's yours going? Roy

Comment

Roy. installed the low pressure pump last week and dumped it in the canal and ran well . I will be making a trip to the keys next week . Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by roydawn View Post
                      Naples rich, just did a 80 mi round trip to the reefs for some fishing. Fishing not good, bad tides at only time we go. But engine never missed a beat!! That check valve at top of the tank was definitely MY problem. How's yours going? Roy
                      Those "check valves" are usually referrd to as anti-syphon valves. On US built boats they are a mandatory fitting, but only for inboard powered boats. They are not required on outboard powered boats.

We have had a similar starving issue lately on my regular skipper's 2301 Striper which is powered by a 300 Zuke. The guys on the Striper owners club website all pointed the finger at this anti-syphon valve. As soon as I posed the question several of them chimed in along thise lines.

So on the weekend we unscrewed it from the tank outlet fitting, took it to the workbench and punched out the ball and spring and the metal ring it seals against. So now there is no obstruction in the tube at all. Refitted it to the tank and reconnected fuel line.

We will see how it goes. But at a cost of half an hour of our time and no $ and no downside, at the very least we will have eliminated this valve from the equation.

Cheers

ML

Comment

Ok, 2 months later & my problem is BACK! That's 60+ hours later. Went out today & engine died at 900 rpm slow troll. Had to pump the primer bulb all the way back. SOS, will pull the new check valve, put the old one back in after I punch out the check ball & spring. If that doesn't work it may be a low pressure pump next. Frustrating, Roy

Comment

Working...
                        X