Suzuki 140 DT wont start, just clicks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki 140 DT wont start, just clicks

I have a 1997 Suzuki and I can't get it to start? It has always started with no problems and once warm it would start on the first attempt every time. Now it just clicks once when I turn the key to start it(even if I hold it there, just one click)?? The green indicator light dims when I do this. I believe the starter solonoid is the thing doing the clicking(facing motor from inside the boat its on the left side, starter is on right). It seems to be getting power. The starter is getting only 3 volts from the solonoid? That seems low? Any suggestions would be much appreciated, Thanks alot for any help, oh and my tilt, trim, lights, powerpole still work so battery appears good.-Eric

Have the battery load tested, load test battery cable where it connects to engine. If either one test below 10 volts then have a bad battery or cables or poor battery cable connections..
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

Rarely will a solenoid go....and it is only a switch. take an ohm meter and go betweeen the two terminals on the solenoid...have someone turn the key. The meter should read a closed connection..or continuity between the two with the key in the start position. If not, it's bad.

If that's not it...check to make sure the flywheel turns by hand....remove plugs to decrease compression 1st. These engines have issues with lower unit bushings...corrode and lock up the driveshaft....started will just click it this is the case.

Comment

Working...
      X