1980 DT50 lower unit oil seal replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980 DT50 lower unit oil seal replacement

I have the lower unit off and the water pump off but the spacer just below the water pump will not lift off. The transmission seal is just below this plate (spacer). It comes up about .25 inch like there is a spring under it. Does anyone know how that stinkn thing comes off. I dont see any snap ring or anymore bolts to remove.

Also can I pull the prop shaft out without removing the pinion gear/shaft. Thats my plan B. : P
    Thanks guys!

Ok, here is my follow up. I couldnt wait, it was driving me crazy not being able to figure it out. So last night I got a puller for the prop shaft housing, soaked the housing in WD-40 for 2 hours then pulled the prop shaft carrier out. It actually came out pretty easy (with puller) being it gets salt water. Yes the prop shaft does come out without removing the pinion gear. Then you can get in there with a long ratchet and remove the pinion gear nut and gear. After that the drive shaft and the upper plate (with seal ) will come off the top. From there it is all pretty much apart.

WORD TO THE WISE lower unit removing people:

Carefully remove the lower unit from the power head as not to pull the shift shaft up and out of the detent, or you will be doing what I am doing (disassembling the intire lower unit with special tools that are hard to find...fehh. Anyway hope this helps out anyone that is removing the lower unit to replace the water pump. Special note, if you are planning on replacing the oil seal under the pump, yes you have to pull the prop and prop shaft out : (

Comment

Working...
    X