Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki DF 115 primer bulb collapsing.

Hello

I am new to the forum. I have a 2004 Suzuki DF115 and 9.9 connect to a fuel water separator with 1 inlet and 2 outlet. When I run the 9.9 for and extended period of time and what to start 115 and start running the engine starves after take off unless I run at low RPM for a while. If I gun it and it dies off after I am on plane.

another thing that happens is if I am running the 115 for a while the fuel line and bulb collapse but I can still run this way.

I change the fuel lines and bulb, filter, check the vents on the tank, and I can't find the problem. This started last year and previously the setup worked fine.

When I pump the bulb on the 115 it never gets hard like on the 9.9. I can see fuel going into the small fuel filter but can hear a swishing sound.

Does anybody have an idea what the problem can be.

thanks

Sturgeonx

If your fuel tank has an anti-syphon valve integrated into or attached to the take-off fitting, i would suspect that the valve is faulty. Remove the valve and push the ball bearing and spring out, and reinstall. Valve is not necessary.

Comment

It sounds as if the fuel lines between the tank and seperator, and the seperator and the 115, can't carry enough fuel to meet the demand from the engine.

Also, I understand that some primer bulbs aren't "up to the job" for anything other than a small engine; the material is too soft, and they can collapse as fuel is pulled through...

Comment

The primer bulb collapsing can only be one thing (well almost)the bulb is faulty (the valve is somehow shot) there is a blockage between the bulb and the air vent in the tank, either the fuel hose is kinked or crap, the tank pickup is blocked, or the tank vent is blocked, maybe some sort of insect building a nest? seeing as it was Ok some time ago.

Comment

It sounds like you have a couple of problems
          "swishing sound" .. coming from the fuel tank?
          if that is source.. then the valve in the bulb may be bad
          also.. the bulb should be in a vertical position ..
          fuel line from tank at the bottom and to motor on top
          and ..double check... you have the direction of the fuel going the right way..
          it is easy to install it backwards.. which would cause it to collapse and not let fuel through to the motor..
          Art

Comment

tried it out this weekend and its still doing it. I will change the bulb and try running with the cap on the gas tank open.

the fuel line to the tanks were changed so that is not the problem.

thanks

Comment

Did you check the direction that the bulb faces?
              it should have a arrow on the side of it showing which way the fuel should flow
              the only other thing is the way the tank is vented.
              my tank is mounted under the floor board. the fill tube comes in at the front
              then there is a vent tube that runs to high up on the back transom.
              Should check the tank vent system for your tank.
              a couple of years ago.. mine did not have any trouble running.. just filling the tank.. would not allow for enough air to escape. then found spiders had built nests in the vent holes.. you can run a little back pressure. take the hose off the gas/water filter side that goes to the tank.. and apply a little back pressure to make sure it escapes and does not build up.. easy does it on the pressure.. just enough to check that it is not building up ..
              you can check the water/fuel separator the same way.. but be very careful working with and around the gasoline.. can be unforgiving ..
              the 115 should not be sucking all the gas out of the bulb and lines if it did not have an obstruction someplace to the vent system..
              good luck and keep us up to date on your progress.
              Art..

Comment

I check the bulb it is ok.

I have to vent line on it one from the tank and the other is the fill vent. the vent line is located near the fuel pick up line.

I will try adding air to the vent line and open the gas cap to see if it vent's.

how did you clean out the spider nest?

thanks

Sturgeonx

Comment

I found out the hard way.. I had filled up the tank for storage..
                  put the boat in the garage.. had need to warm the garage up.. needless to say the fuel expanded.. cleaned out the overflow vent very nicely..
                  rest of the story. .yes got the fuel spill cleaned up with no incidents..
                  next time to the gas station.. fueled up without any burps at the fill tube..
                  before I could get about 10 gals in the tank.. then every 3 of 4 gallons it would burp back .. shut off the pump .. let everything settle down and repeat itself until the tank was full.. and by the way it is a 70 gal tank!

art..

Comment

Working...
                  X