How to drain oil in DF70

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to drain oil in DF70

Man, I feel numb posting this, but I'm trying to avoid buying a $70 manual just to change the oil.

Can anyone post a picture of the oil drain plug location (or describe it well)?

I have a 2004 DF70, from what I read it's on the starboard side, under the cowling, but I can't see it and I don't want to do too much exploratory unscrewing.

Thanks, much appreciated.

dan

Not 100% sure on the early models, but the later "A" models, the oil drain is on the starboard side of the upper leg, it is a round alloy looking thing with a hex centre to fit an Allen Key into.

Comment

Thanks for the attention, I found it-- on the port (left) side towards the front. Attached is a picture for future newbies. By the way, it may be overkill, but I replaced the stock filter with a much larger automotive filter:
      Purolator L14477, see:
      SUZUKI 16510-61A31 - Alternative oil filters
      It fits perfectly and should provide substantial additional protection.
      Attached Files

Comment

I was told by a mechanic I trust a lot that the factory OEM oil filters bypass springs are different because the oil pressures the outboards run on are different so if your automotive replacement oil filter gets dirty it wont open the bypass valve soon enough or at all to ensure the engine still gets good oil flow and you will burn up your outboard just to save $1.50 on the cost of an OEM oil filter. he also said automotive filter housings are made of steel and will rust where outboard OEM filter housings are made of aluminum or ss so they dont get rusty. he could not say if the filter mediums inside then will allow the same amount of oil flow but he assumed that part of the filters would not be much different.

just a little FYI on the risk you are taking to save a few pennies
        Last edited by keakar; 05-18-2014, 12:53 PM.

Comment

We have also seen a number of reports where people have used after-market or car filters.

Athough the thread etc may fit, the shape of the lip on the filter on some of those filters was just slightly different, and the result was the the lip grounded out on the engine block before the oil seal was tight enough on the body of the engine to seal properly.

You know what then happened when the engine got hot and was under full power without me spelling it out. Big mess and no engine oil left in crankcase.

For a few $ extra i will be sticking with the genuine Suzuki outboard oil filters.

Comment

Working...
          X