Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 DT150 Super Six testing

Hello All!

I have owned a number of smaller Suzuki outboards and by reading over this forum I have always been able to find my answers, so first off THANK YOU!

I bought a as is where is project boat with a 87 SS 150

looking it over under the cowl, it looks clean and its a fresh water motor with no apparent signs of overheating

one side of the engine has newer bolts and some type of sealant on the exhaust plate.

I fired the motor up on the muffs and it runs not to terrible. Everything sounds tight in there.

puts out white smoke

checked plugs, the side with the signs of exhaust plate repair have water in all three cylinders.

So now I plan on a compression test, to my surprise when I pulled off the kill switch to disable the spark , the engine still fires.

I will come back to fixing the kill if I can get the rest of the motor sorted out.

My question is....... what is a safe way to disable spark on the motor side so I can carry out a compression test? BTW is the 12 plug model.

Is it correct after I disable spark to hold the carb linkage open to WOT with zipties to get a good reading?

My plan is to test compression and if that is ok to order new exhaust plate gaskets for the water wet side and go from there.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME!!!!!
Working...
X