CDI Unit Matching on DT55

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CDI Unit Matching on DT55

Background—I have a 1995 DT 55 Suzuki. The problem was intermittent starting problems and erratic misfiring. Using the Clymer Manual, my mechanic performed all the related ignition timing testing and all signs pointed to the CDI unit. The specified part is a 32900-9475. I ordered a used part online that looks identical in all respects except it has two additional B/W wires that the part I pulled out did not have. According to the diagram, they are supposed to go to an ignition timing resistor.

Questions:

1. Are there different versions of CDI unit 32900-94750 for different motors?

2. The serial number stamped on the unit we took out began with a 9475 but the one I purchased started with 9473. Does this mean that the unit is not a 32900-94750 or is it a different version of it?

3. Why would my motor not have the ignition timing resistor described in Clymer? Is it built in to the CDI unit?

4. Are the two slightly different parts interchangeable? Does having an extra two output wires to an ignition timing resistor (that doesn’t appear to be present) cause any harm if the part is tried.

5. Do you know of any bench testing of CDI units to make sure the part is bad? Replacing this part is expensive.
Working...
X