Trim issue - HELP !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim issue - HELP !!!

I have a 1999 DF50 with trim issues. On either switch it will only go down. If you press up there is a single click and no response. I swapped the green and blue wires around and then it only goes up. (motor works either, but not both directions) Bought and installed new up relay solenoid. Same issue. WHAT NEXT????
    Note: Recently purchased used and was not working when I bought it. based on a schematic, I know I have most of the wires correct. There are five black wires, two were going to the post opposite the blue post on the up relay and three were going to the same post on the down relay. scematic doesn't show but one each. Could this be an issue that was preexisting? The person I bought it from knew nothing about the motor, as it was her late husband's.

if the wiring is correct then one of your trim relays is bad and that's all it is.

new they cost about $80 but you can find good used ones on ebay for around $25.

they don't wear out or go bad very often so there is no negative to the idea of using a used one. in most cases they outlast the outboard motor but sometimes they do fail.

I wasn't sure which one of mine were bad on my DF40 because it would work "most" of the time but then sometimes in full up position it would not go down until I clicked it like 20 times so I just replaced both relays at the same time with a pair of used relays I bought on ebay and now I have no more trim issues. mine would go up but not down. I was able to test them on the work bench and found one was not always making good contact so that was my problem.

its only going to be one relay that is bad and the up or down relays are the same part number and the same part so there is only one replacement part for both so if you are interested i'll sell you my old working one that is still good for $25 shipped in usa. if you are interested send me a PM and we can get the shipping info.

to confirm part numbers this is my part:
    power trim relay #38410-94551 fits Suzuki 1986-2010 40-200 hp outboard
    Last edited by keakar; 05-19-2014, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the input Keaker. I just replaced the up relay to no avail. Any other suggestions? Do you Know which post the 5 grounds should be attached to. There is one each coming from where the blue and pink wires come from, two others, and one coming in with a green/yellow wire (starter maybe).
      By the way, I see you're in Louisiana, so is my boat at the moment. What part?
      Last edited by DrSamurai; 05-19-2014, 09:16 PM.

Comment

well since you replaced the relay you must have replaced the good relay so swap the one you took out with the one you did not replace and that should fix it.

I made a similar mistake thinking I changed the correct relay but its confusing and gets all backwards from normal thinking because if the trim up doesn't work you replace the trim down relay and if the trim down doesn't work then you need to replace the trim up relay. I think its because of how they reverse the positive and negative power that the contacts for the other relay not being used are what makes it operate or something.

ground wires:

most of the ground wires all go to the main engine ground lug but the grounds for the relay coils connect to the ground bar on the relays so they all share the same common ground so therefore it shouldn't matter where its grounded only that it is connected to a ground terminal.
        Last edited by keakar; 05-20-2014, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Thanks!!!!!!!

Well, up is down and down is up--that's bass ackwords. However, IT WORKED!
          Thank you so much. I had called Suzuki, went by the dealer, asked several experts, all to no avail.
          Thanks again.

Comment

glad I could help.

I said quit a few choice words myself when I finally found someone to clue me in that you have to replace the opposite relay from normal thinking.

you would think this little tidbit of info would be added in bold print at the top of all service manuals and repair manuals but I only found out like you, from someone on a forum who told me it was bass ackwards after I had done everything I could think of that makes any sense.

I got so damn frustrated I bought a whole new power trim assembly for it at a cost of $1,400 but part of the reason I was willing to go that route was the seals did need replacing anyway.

if you know anyone who needs a power trim I still have it but as said the seals need replacing because it will slowly sink overnight to be in the down position

Comment

Working...
            X