Suzuki digital multifunction display problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki digital multifunction display problem

Hi. I came across a problem when trying to couple the LF 400 suzuki multifunction display with 3NMEA connectors, engine interface and the cable with a DF 70. While attempting to configure the instrument and reaching 'BUS DEVICES' and pressing same an indication of 'No bus devices' appear on the screen. Tried doing several times but I am unable to proceed beyond that point.
    Appreciate an explanation.

Can you explain a little more in detail your connections? I'm not sure that I understand your "3 NMEA connectors". You should have the NMEA 2000 backbone (the main cable that all devices connect to) with a resistor terminal at each end. Your power cable should be connected with a T connector, the LMF400 should be connected also with a T connector, and any other device also connected with a T connector. (Maybe that's the 3 NMEA connectors you're referring to?) That would include the engine interface. In other words anything connected to the backbone requires its own T connector. Do you also have other devices connected?

I've never been able to read any NMEA 2000 device information on my multi-function gauge. It shows nothing but the gauge itself. My Garmin chartplotter shows all the devices on the network, including the gauge, and all their software versions, etc., but the gauge does not. Does your gauge show the information from your engine? All that is available on Suzukis via the interface is fuel management, RPM, water temp, engine trim, and maybe engine hours.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Let me provide you more details and pictures of the connections we have made so far with the part numbers. Moreover, the gauge does not either show engine data even if it was connected via DLC connector.
      As another option I will try resetting the display and see for any changes.
      I will revert with full details shortly. Thanks. Sam

Comment

For the LMF to see the Suzuki interface in the device list, the engine must be turned on. Not necessarily running, but key to "on" position where it "beeps".

If the network is connected up correctly and engine key is on, and no bus devices appear on the list. Most likely you have a bad connection somewhere, probably the interface cable. Check and correct.

A year or so ago i was helping a friend set up his new network and we had it all connected perfectly but still no bus devices! Turned out to be a faulty T connector that the interface cable was connected to, even though it was brand new. Nearly drove us crazy until we swapped it round for a spare one we had.

Comment

Thanks for information. I will look into the connections and give it a try again.

Comment

Hi. Grant, I went through few of your previous threads and found that the Suzuki interface cable has an update. I am still trying my best to fix the error but goes unanswered. What if I suggest to upload the update firmware and see for any changes. All equipment I got were from Suzuki Japan.

Comment

Hi!

Before you can do a software update for the interface, you will need to be able to detect it on the network. So need to solve that problem first.

Some questions:

1. Are you getting any engine data at all to show on the LMF? If so, what data?

2. Have you set the network backbone up properly with a terminating resistor on each end, and all devices such as the LMF connected to the "leg" part of the T pieces?

Comment

Hi. Grant thanks for the reply and for the queries you have raised following are the replies.

1). No any engine data present in the LMF.
                2). I have connected the LMF to the leg of the Tee of the network.

I have three tees connected to the backbone cable which are for the LMF, interface and the network power up. Moreover, the terminator resistors have been fitted. Thanks.

Comment

One more thing I needed to highlight you was the colour of the tees and the other connections of the NMEA2K network we have fitted. All of them are Black in color. Thanks

Comment

Thanks for that info.

If the LMF is turning on, but no engine data, I would suspect one of two things:

1. a bad T piece, probably the one that the interface is connected to. Suggest you swap T pieces around between power and interface and see what happens.

Or

2. The adapter cable from the interface cable to plug into the SDS port on the engine is faulty. We have seen a few of those adapter cables that were incorrectly wired.

Try #1 first and let me know what happens. If it doesnt work I will find the wiring diagram so you can check the adaapter cable.

Also, two more questions:

3. Do you also have analogue gauges on your boat or only LMF gauge?

4. Is the interface cable plugged into the engine SDS port, or into the wiring harness behind the dash?

Grant

Edit: I found my records about the adapter wiring. Check to make sure it is as follows:

The wiring is as follows. Please note that gray/red and orange/yellow on the engine side indicates "gray wire with a red stripe" and "orange wire with a yellow stripe".

Engine side: ------- Interface side:
                    yellow - ------ blue wire AND red wire
                    gray/red ------- single red wire
                    orange/yellow ------- white wire
                    black - ------ black wire

If it is wrongly wired, you can however fix this by removing the pins from the adapter cable, and putting the pins back in different places as per the following:

If you insert a very small screwdriver from the pin side of the plug, above each pin there is a small tab and if you lift it, the wire will pull out from the back of the plug, and then you can put them back into the correct holes as indicated above.
                    Last edited by Moonlighter; 05-25-2014, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Thanks Grant, you have supplied me a wealth of information. With this I'd be able to rectify. I shall revert soon. Sam

Comment

Good Day Grant, I am just replying your thread after going thru the whole thing. When looking at the engine interface socket which is coupling to the SDS the socket has following colour codes. 4 pinned socket male.

PIN number 1 - two blacks coupled together
                        PIN number 2 - white only
                        PIN number 3 - red only
                        PIN number 4 - Red and blue wires coupled together

We cannot fix this to the engines SDS socket being a male socket asSDS also a male socket.

According to your colour description in the last thread there is a disparity in Colours in the SDS.

Could I have your e mail address to send the pictures of the sockets.

Comment

In this DF 70 the SDS sockets colour codes are as follows,

Yellow
                          Black/Green
                          Orange/yellow
                          Black

Now can I couple the wires in following format,

SDS socket----------------- engine interface

Yellow ----------------- Blue/red
                          Black /Green ------------ ???????
                          Orange/yellow ----------- White only
                          Black -------------- Black

Comment

Hi. Grant, one more thing I forgot to indicate was the analogue function of the motor. The analogue gauges are fitted and they are functional without any problem.

Comment

Hi again Sam

Perhaps there is some confusion about how to connect the interface cable to the engine.

Option 1
                              If you want to have your analogue engine gauges still working, the only way is to plug the interface into the SDS port on the engine. An adapter cable is needed.

Option 2: if you only want to have digital NMEA2000 network gauges, NO analogue gauges at all. In this case, there is a procedure to complete in the engine to change the connectors, and this then allows you to connect the interface to the engine wiring harness plug behind the dash. No adapter cable is needed.

Now.... To do option 1:

To plug the interface cable into the SDS port on the engine, you will need an adapter cable because, as I think you have now found, the interface cable plug is a male plug and so is the SDS so they wont connect together.

This is why you need the adapter cable. The adapter cable connects to the interface cable, and then the other end of the adapter cable has the female plug that will connect to the SDS connector on the engine.

This is the adapter cable required:

Suzuki Outboard - 990C0-88136 - SIMS Adapter to SDS

Hope that helps. Let me know if that makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                              X