X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki 200 Df 2008

Hey Guys ,

I am having a few problems with my engine

I have performed the regular maintenance recently (two weeks ago).

Problem: Took boat for a ride to check to make sure everything ran well, ride went well engine ran great. Brought boat home to flush out engine with the muffs, 10 mins into flushing water alarm sounded, turned motor off, reset the hose, and ran again with the muffs. Engine ran well.

Two weeks later went to run engine and no water came out of pee hole. Tried three times by turning engine off and restarting while water ran through muffs, got weak water out of pee hole one time. No alarm sound. Turned engine off, ran water again through muffs and water streamed like it should have out of peehole. Turned engine off and kept the water running through the muffs then the water out of peehole was extremely hot like a pot of boiling water, steam was noticeable.

It's hard to get enough water through muffs to keep engine cool, Need to try it in water first to see works good. If having trouble getting water trough muffs to water pump it can damage water pump.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Suzuki Outboard Parts

Comment

you should only let the motor idle when on muffs, as mentioned muffs supply just enough water to get enough water to idle only

Comment

Thanks for the info .
        Today i took the boat out and sure enough at speeds above idle the boat motor was fine .Stopped to eat a bite and while idling in gear the engine temp alarm sounded and went into limp mode ,shut it down whited a few minutes fired it up and headed back to the docks

Once i got home fired the boat up on the muffs and let it run for about 10 mins ,felt the heads and the starboard head was deffinitly hotter then the Port ,both were very hot (Could not hold my hand on them ) Upon looking i do not think the stream of water is as hard as it has been before the Maintenance

#1 Is it possible that the thermostats are the wrong ones????

#2 I have read things about ,Water pressure Valves?

Any ides where to start ,if i have to bring it in to the shop i will ,but i don't trust most people in South Flordia to work on my Boat

Comment

Finally was able to Drop the Lower unit today and i Discovered the the "Water pump case bushing" was the issue .I must have pinched it when i was installing the lower unit ,it has pretty much spilt in Half.Tomorrow i will go pick one up and see if the problem is cured

Comment

put everything back together and still having an Issue .Anyone have any ideas ????

Comment

sometimes you get a buildup of flakes and corrosion in the heads that settles in and never leaves keeping water from flowing at low speeds but gets forced through at higher speeds when the water pump is pushing more pressure.

not saying that's it but it does seam to be a common issue caused by corrosion.

try this, drop the lower unit and connect a hose to the water tube, then add 33% solution of muratic acid and water in a garbage can or something suitable to fit under the midsection and you will need to catch and redirect your tattle tail stream back into the container as well because you don't want acid water squirting out wherever. now just use a bilge pump to replace the engines water pump and use it to pump it from your container through the water passages in your engine. this will clean and flush your entire water passages and you wont believe the amount of junk that comes out of even what you think is a clean engine. just let it run for a good half hour to an hour and when your done there will be a pile of sandy looking ash in the container and that was the junk blocking up your engine.
              Last edited by keakar; 06-01-2014, 01:31 AM.

Comment

I will try that ,sounds like its worth trying.Seems that it all started when I changed the Thermostats!! Starting to wonder if I have one bad one .When I fire it up for the first time of the day it does not want to pee.I shut it down after a minute or less let it sit for a few minutes then I try it again and it will pee ,sometimes it takes a few try's after it starts to pee it seems to continue .

Comment

just be sure the bilge pump is not sitting on the bottom of the container or it will be pumping the trash back into the motor again so hang it near the surface away from where the water returns.

as to the thermostat, yes swap it out or just take it out to see what happens. even brand new parts can be bad so I would check this first but if your engines get a lot of salt water use, the acid flush is a good idea every 8-10 years or so.

Comment

I will hang it from a from a bend coat hanger off the side of the Barrel

Comment

Ok tried cleaning motor in a tub ,fired up the motor and let it go ,flushed for a good while .nothing really came out as far as build up or Debris go.Took boat out and run it for a little bit ,once we decided to idle the motor BAM the Temp light goes off once again .

Any other info that may be able help would be Awesome !!

Comment

well I dismissed it because it is unlikely but it is possible your oil pump isn't putting out good pressure so its not getting enough oil at idle.

figure out how to measure your oil pressures

Comment

Not sure that oil Pressure would be the issue .The problem started after the Maintenance .

I think i got it Figured out ,just have to put it in the water and see if its ok

Comment

could be during the flushing operation some loose crud collected in a passage somewhere and is restricting flow at lower pressures

try pulling the lower unit and thermostat and reflush it backwards again to be sure some crud didn't come loose during your test run

Comment

What would be the right war to do that

Pull Lower unit
                              Pull thermostats

How do i back flush ,i mean i not dumb.Pull one thermostat at a time or just open all zincs ,thermostats ext..

to be Honest as clean ass all the zincs looked ,i even pulled to one below the mid section today and it looks real good .I really can't see where crud could have come from...Not saying thats not the problem because i have weirder things happen ,but just not seeing it .I am Going to try all options before next week .I have an Appt .with the Mech.If i can't fix it before then ,i will just have to pay someone to do it

Comment

Working...
                              X