burning oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• burning oil?

I just bought a 2002 Suzuki 70 hp 4 stroke and had a tune up and oil change by a certified shop. I have run it 30 hours in the last month and the Rev Regulator activated it would not get up on step and the oil light came on. I was 4 quarts low, almost out. After filling the engine with oil I took it out for 5 min and it got up on step. I did not notice any leaking, Where did the oil go? Does it just burn oil?

I had a corrosion issue where water was getting into the oil but you may have something similar where the oil is leaking out the exhaust through the prop.

check compression and if that's good then the oil went somewhere and the most obvious place to go unseen would be through the prop exhaust.

you definitely have a serious issue to lose that much oil

Comment

Look back at my post last updated 11/12/2013
      Df175 oil loss
      Go to search link - advanced search
      Df175 oil loss
      Art

Comment

valves

After adding a quart of oil for every 15 gallons of fuel I finally had a mechanic look at my motor and it has one bad valve that is leaking.

If I have the head off shouldn't I replace all the valves?

I have to wonder: Should I put money in a 12 year old motor with unknown hours or get a new one?

thanks for the replies.
        Last edited by mtodd68; 07-31-2014, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Having to remove the head anyway, it would probably be wise to go ahead with the complete valve job. Valves won't necessarilty have to be replaced, but guides and seals probably will, and valve seats can be resurfaced if necessary. If you trust your shop to do quality work, then check the price and compare to cost of a new outboard.

Whether or not to buy new instead is a decision only you can make, of course, but while the current motor is apart, have the mechanic give you his opinion on the overall condition of the power head, and base your decision on that. Also, I've always felt that confidence plays a large part in such decisions. If you have lost confidence in your present motor, i.e., if you feel that you're going to have to continue to pour money into repairs, and/or you launch every time on a "wing and a prayer," not sure you'll get back without a tow, then I think it's time to buy new. A new DF70 will run you at least $7K.
          Mike

Comment

Working...
          X