100 hour maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100 hour maintenance

Hey guys I just hit 100 hours on my 300 Suzuki. Wondering if anyone has a list of 100 hr maintenance? Or what is it that you guys do in the 100hr maintenance? I dont have a service book yet but just ordered one. Trying to get the list of parts together and what I should need to replace.

Thanks for the help!

I am sure someone else with your motor size will respond
    but.. I can only suggest you wait for the manual to arrive
    there is too many items to try to list here on the forum..
    If you are a good mechanic .. you should be able to accomplish most
    I would start the process of trying to find a really..good mechanic that knows Suzuki's.. if you have any problems-- you need to know one..

Comment

Thanks. I am not a "good mechanic" but I do know my way around tools and used to do my own maintenance on a 04 Evinrude I had. Also there is a couple of good Suzuki mech around me if I do run into any issues.

Comment

if its a new motor you don't want to void the warranty by not letting an authorized dealer do the "required" warranty maint.

I know it hurts to pay someone to do what you already know how to do but you don't want to risk voiding the warranty. if something happens you might be told they refuse to honor the warranty because there is no record of authorized dealer required maint checks.

I think there is another check that it needs at 300 hours too.

Comment

Yeah its new motor. 6 mon old. I really dont want to void the warrenty, do you think this is a possibility? Even if I keep records and receipts? Maybe take pictures....lol

Comment

read your warranty, im pretty sure it says serviced by a certified Suzuki dealer

call Suzuki hotline and ask but I wouldn't give them ANY excuse to void the warranty just to save a few dollars. look at what you paid for that motor and your risking voiding the warranty over $200-$300 you have to pay the dealer for the required service checks, is it really worth it?

I just look at the service checks as part of the cost of the motor.

do your own repairs "after" you have satisfied the warranty requirements, that's what I do.

Comment

Thanks keakar, makes sense....Ill call and see what they say...

Comment

It is not required to have anyone else do it. Keep your receipts for oil, filters, plugs, or whatever else is required for the maintenance, make a short written record of what you did. They cannot require you to pay someone else to do the required maintenance, but you should keep records.
                Mike
                μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Originally posted by Harper View Post
                  It is not required to have anyone else do it. Keep your receipts for oil, filters, plugs, or whatever else is required for the maintenance, make a short written record of what you did. They cannot require you to pay someone else to do the required maintenance, but you should keep records.
                  well I just go by what I am told by the dealer and what the warranty itself says.

WHAT IS COVERED BY THIS WARRANTY
                  Suzuki Motor of America, Inc. provides a limited warranty which
                  covers each new Suzuki Four-Stroke Outboard Motor imported and
                  distributed by Suzuki Motor of America, Inc. Needed repairs to correct defects in material and workmanship during the manufacture of the outboard will be made at no charge for parts and labor. The Suzuki Limited Warranty will be in effect if the outboard motor was properly installed and serviced by an Authorized Suzuki Motor of America Outboard Dealer within the continental United States, Alaska, Bahamas, or Turks and Caicos Islands.

now admittedly "serviced" is a gray area and it does not specify or say anything about break-in maint. sevice work must be done by an Authorized Suzuki Motor of America Outboard Dealer, it just talks about warranty repairs.

that said, it does not say you can do your own break-in service maint. work but part of the break-in service work is to retorque the head bolts and adjusting the valves on the new engine and I doubt very highly if you opening up and going into your own engine would not void the warranty. but I can find no link to anything from suzuki saying it will, its just a common sense assumption.

as far as regular yearly routine maint, yes don't bother with the dealer and just do your own stuff but while you are fulfilling the initial break-in service maint. let the dealer do that so you don't risk your warranty, its just not worth it IMO.

Comment

And I go by what is in the owner's manual:

"Suzuki recommends (emphasis mine) that only your authorized Suzuki Marine Dealer or a qualified service mechanic perform maintenance on those items in the chart above marked with an asterisk (*). You may perform maintenance on the the unmarked items by referring to the instructions in this section if you have mechanical experience."

None of the items, marked or unmarked, have specifically to do with the break-in period. the items that are marked include: low pressure fuel filter (replace @ 400 hrs), high pressure fuel filter (replace @ 1000 hrs), ignition timing (check @ 200 hrs), idle speed check @ 20 hrs and 200 hrs), balancer chain (replace @1600 hrs), valve clearance (check @ 200 hrs), water pump (inspect @ 200 hrs), water pump impeller (replace @ 200 hrs), prop nut & pin (inspect @ 20 hrs & 100 hrs), and nuts & bolts (tighten @ 20 hrs and 100 hrs)

Any mechanically competent person can easily perform any of these services, and legally Suzuki cannot and will not void a warranty unless they can prove that a job was done poorly, improperly, or not at all, and that the maintenance that was performed was the cause of the warranty issue. For example, if your powerhead is full of sludge or water/oil emulsion and you sought relief under warranty when it threw a rod, if by oil samples, etc, they can assert that you never changed your oil, they'll void any and all warranties, and rightly so. Besides, with Suzuki's record of dealing with warranty issues, I wish you luck getting any satisfaction even with their so-called trained experts having done all the work.
                    Last edited by Harper; 05-30-2014, 06:52 PM.
                    Mike
                    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Working...
                    X