Necessary gauges- 2001 Suzuki DF90

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Necessary gauges- 2001 Suzuki DF90

Recently purchased 2001 skiff for inshore fishing.no prior experience with outboards. Motor is 2001 df90(375 hrs). Tachometer is only gauge on boat.
    Probly won't be traveling longer than 10 mile trips. Is a digital display with all available engine readings necessary to monitor performance of motor? I have no gps, no depth finder--- just trying to figure out electronics, gauges - what do I need- what are best options$?
    Thanks

Originally posted by tunagoose View Post
    Recently purchased 2001 skiff for inshore fishing.no prior experience with outboards. Motor is 2001 df90(375 hrs). Tachometer is only gauge on boat.
    Probly won't be traveling longer than 10 mile trips. Is a digital display with all available engine readings necessary to monitor performance of motor? I have no gps, no depth finder--- just trying to figure out electronics, gauges - what do I need- what are best options$?
    Thanks
    if the tach has your safety warning lights that's all you need for the motor.

for the boat I always feel the need to have a dash mounted voltage gauge and I prefer a dash mounted compass to those that sit on the dash. I find the dash mounted ones last longer because they don't get beat up as much and don't leak or dry up the fluid in them.

if you have a built in or permanently mounted gas tank I only find you need a dash mounted fuel gauge is if the tank is hidden otherwise I prefer to open the cap or look at the tank gauge to check on my fuel levels.

I find things like a trim gauge and speedometer are just extras you don't really need

a good vhf radio is a nice idea if you have a place to install one but if you are inshore fishing its not a "need" but a nice luxury to have for safety

Comment

My Tach does not have warning lights...will look into. Thanks for suggestions

Comment

This is the gauge you need: Suzuki Outboard - 34200-93J11 - White Tachometer w/Monitor

Your engine is too early a model year to output NMEA2000 data so unfortunately that rules out the more sophisticated SMiS gauges or linking it to any modern electronics to get engine data to display on the screen.

Most midrange combo sounder/GPS units these days will show voltage (check before you select one to make sure) and will also give you trip distance travelled as either water distance or Gps distance. With a bit of experience you will soon work out the average fuel economy of your boat (mpg) so you will then be able to work out your safe working trip distance with a full tank of gas. So well worth getting one of these.

If you dont have a fuel gauge but can get a stick directly into your tank, it is easy to mark the stick to show fuel levels.

Combined, thats about all you need.

Cheers!

Comment

I suspect you will have to figure out what information you want... I just repowered with a new DF60A. I like as much information as I can get for my machinery. For instance, my tow vehicle has a temp gauge. It was running cold (but no idiot lights). The thermostat has an "open" failure feature, so I knew it needed to be replaced. Wouldn't have with just warning lights...

For my boat, I wanted a trim gauge. Had one with my old motor and now realize how much I miss it (look at the dead gauge all the time!). My dealer (who mostly sells to watermen) said, "What the hell do you want a trim gauge for?" Most of his clients spend their lives on the water thinking about being home on dry land - while I spend my time at work (on dry land) thinking about being out on the water (and what gauges I can get!). There is a thread here by Moonlighter explaining NMEA2000. Not sure if your year supports it, but it appears to allow one to see almost all the data supplied by the ECM. That could be an option.

For me, I like as much information as possible. I prefer to scan how the engine is working and the available data. I think this could help see potential problems on the horizon. Eventually, I will likely set up the NMEA2000 system on my boat. My tach has the warning lights. Probably enough for now...

Comment

His engine is too old to support NMEA2000.

Comment

Working...
            X