Proper way to flush DF 140

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper way to flush DF 140

I'm lucky enough to have a brand new DF 140 ATX. Just hit 10 hours. Is using the side flushing port as good as using the traditional earmuff style for flushing with engine running? I use primarily in salt water so I always flush. Tks.

Did you get an owner's manual with your brand new DF140? And have you read it? NEVER run the engine when flushing with the side flushing ports. Use muffs on the water intakes and run the engine long enough that the thermostat is fully open (usually ten minutes minimum).

The side ports are for a quick flush with the motor OFF. Not as effective, but I sometimes use it at the end of the day when the boat is to be used again the next morning.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

What Mike said!!

I do hope there is a misunderstanding and that you have NOT actually been running the engine with water via the flushing port only......

But if you have been running your engine while only supplying water via the flushing port on the side, you are likely to have damaged the water pump impeller. You should inspect it to see if the tips on the rubber blades have melted.

Comment

Originally posted by Harper View Post
        The side ports are for a quick flush with the motor OFF. Not as effective, but I sometimes use it at the end of the day when the boat is to be used again the next morning.
        I thought those side ports were supposed to be just as good as the muffs but you don't have to run the engine.

why is it not as good? because the thermostat never opens?

Comment

Well, partly because of the 'stat not opening, but also because since it is not being pumped by the water pump itself, it just doesn't completely flush all the water passages. Depending on your water pressure, the water can flow through the engine fast enough that you might not get any water into the upper portions of the block at all (gravity). Also hot or warm water will do a more thorough job of dissolving and rinsing the salt. The owners manual has instructions for both methods of flushing, but specifically recommends that you use the muffs as the preferred method. One other thing you should do periodically (yearly) is to remove, clean, and inspect the internal engine anodes. You will find them caked with various metallic salts. Brush the deposits off the anodes and replace if more than 2/3 eroded.
          Mike
          μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

I did read the manual and have not ran the motor while using the side port. It just seemed like it would be very convenient if it worked. Tks for the info.

Comment

Working...
            X