ECM Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECM Swap

Considering the standard DF200 thru DF250 are exactly the same spec for spec, I am assuming the ECM tuning is all that seperates them. Is there something I'm missing?

I find it hard to believe the 200 and the 250 have the same bore and stroke, that's just too much difference in horsepower to just be accounted for by fuel mixture and timing from the ECM.

I think you need to look further into it because "something" has to be different

Comment

Even though, as you say, the displacement is the same, there's likely more to the story.....different cam profile, and likely with the different cam, a difference in the induction system, i.e., a larger throttle body with the higher HP, possibly bigger valves, and different injectors, etc. So even though the 200 and 225 are basically detuned versions of the 250, I'm sure there's a lot more involved than just an ECM swap.
      Last edited by Harper; 06-04-2014, 07:39 PM.
      Mike
      μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Originally posted by Harper View Post
        Even though, as you say, the displacement is the same, there's likely more to the story.....different cam profile, and likely with the different cam, a difference in the induction system, i.e., a larger throttle body with the higher HP, possibly bigger valves, and different injectors, etc. So even though the 200 and 225 are basically detuned versions of the 250, I'm sure there's a lot more involved than just an ECM swap.
        I agree that one would think there are more differences but from what little research I have done I don't see any part variations for cams, throttle bodies or injectors. All of them can have different part # variations but when cross referenced are the same parts right down to lift and duration and size. Fuel system parts appear to be exactly the same as well.

There is a lot to consider on the differences to why and how. Tooling up to produce different parts for very small variances in HP don't make sense production wise. There is also the industry's 10% fudge factor on HP ratings that are allowed to vary from the listed "sticker" rating. Couple this with the current proven ability to electronicly tune automotive engines through much broader spectrums of performance variations I am likely to lean towards the only difference being an ECM tune and a sticker on the cowl being the only difference.

I would love to see what Suzuki can really do performance wise to these engines if emissions and fuel were not considerations. An aftermarket ecm tuner could really be worth the effort for the multitude of us with motors beyond warranty.

Comment

Originally posted by keakar View Post
          I find it hard to believe the 200 and the 250 have the same bore and stroke, that's just too much difference in horsepower to just be accounted for by fuel mixture and timing from the ECM.

I think you need to look further into it because "something" has to be different
          Nope, they are identical bore, stroke, cams, induction, injectors... everything except the ECM and stickers. I am certainly interested in hearing from someone that has found a difference but so far I can't.

In 2004 I bough a new 225 Yamaha 4 stroke and was very suprised to find out it was rated from the factory at 206 HP. I questioned the dealer and he stated the industry standard of 10% one way or the other was acceptabe. I was really pissed that I had paid extra for the 225 over the 200 for nothing. He shrugged his shoulders....

It's not a big stretch for Suzuki to detune a motor by 10% electronicly. Especially with electronic VVT. We all know it is just a game to match HP limitations between boat manufactures.
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X