'07 DF140 Suzuki wiring issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '07 DF140 Suzuki wiring issues?

I had some electrical issues earlier this year with a wire in the wiring harness that runs from the dash to positve terminal on battery. They replaced that white wire and ran it straight from the motor to + terminal. All was good until now.

Went to fish and turning the key did nothing, nada, zip (no beep, nothing). It would not even trim at the console. Battery was fully charged and connections were clean and tight. The tilt at the motor worked fine. Went to the dealer (10 minutes from the launch) and they were not able to figure it out either. The wire I had issues with before was correctly reading voltage, was not the problem. The key start was working fine, also.

Left the boat for two days and they called said it was ready. They said they found some corrosion on fused cable under the dash (I had checked everything at the launch and didn't see anything) Before leaving the dealer it started fine, brought it home and checked it again. Nothing, no beep, nada. I opened the console door and there are 3 or 4 wiring harness plugs. I started disconnecting one plug at a time and when re-inserting one the key sounded- ready start. I fished that week no issues, but when I got home and cleaned the outside of the boat and began covering it up, I checked it for grins, the same thing happened again. I checked that one plug nothing. This is crushing me. All of my console is sealed up and no water gets under it.After i clean my boat I always open the console door to allow any moisture a chance to get out. It makes me wonder if the dealer actually found anything wrong or if it did the same thing for me (just started working).

Any thoughts.

give wire connecting plugs a clean with some contact cleaner is there any green corrosion on any plugs

Comment

I'll verify that

I'll look at those connectors in the AM. I just got a can of the proper contact cleaner.

Comment

I have a 2005 DF140 and have had somewhat similiar issues with no beep, however this only happens to me after the motor has been running.

Recently I had the motor warming up for about 5 minutes and randomly the console beeped for about 1.5 seconds and the motor shut off. No overheat light or other warning sounds were on the dash, water was coming out the pilot hole so I don't think it overheated, and I couldn't find any sign of why it would shut off.

Similiar to you, I could trim/tilt the motor manually by pressing the button on the motor, but had no power at the console so the trim button wouldn't work. After switching between batteries, inspecting wires, and anything else I could think of, when I turned the key it still wouldn't beep. This lasted for about 20 minutes and then right before I was about to put the boat on the trailer and go home I turned the key, got a beep and lights on the dash, the motor cranked and ran flawlessly for the rest of the day.

I've called a few shops and they all think this is a heat issue but I'm almost certain it's not because I think you should at least be able to hear a beep when turning the key even if the engine has overheated. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Comment

I am having a very similar problem as the above posts. I have a 06 suzuki 175 went to drop it in the water yesterday and had no response from the throttle mounted trim/tilt or the ignition (no beep no lights ) but still had full trim from the side of the outboard itself.

Now this is were it gets weird...

Every 3 minutes or so .. you can adjust the trim FROM THE THROTTLE about 1 inch in either direction (essentially a quick burst of control). The engine mounted trim continues to work fine through out all of this.

Then..

I take it to the local marina and get their engine spe******t to come take a look. He hops up on the boat hits the RC trim /tilt and the engine moves where ever he wants for about 4 full seconds.. and then returns to the problem.

I have checked all the fuses..other then checking corrosion in the wiring harness does anyone have any thoughts?

Comment

I am still having issues as well. I have found that if I keep the motor connected to the starting battery for more than a few hours it just won't do anything at the console. I can fish all I want to but I have to disconnect the battery in between and it does fine. It's good for about 3 or 4 hours hooked up to the battery

You guys having these iisues, have you found that it goes away when you disconnect the battery for an hour or so? When I disconnect for an hour and re-attach it acts like nothing has happened. Leave it connected over night and nothing when I turn the key to the on position the next day. It's driving me crazy.

Comment

No Start

The first thing to do is to check for 12 volts at white wire. Next is to see if the white wire will hold amps. The white wire gets its 12 volts where it plugs in on the engine where the harness hooks up.

Comment

Yes it is getting voltage. However there is still no beep or anything when the key is turned to the on position. Unless I disconnect everything from the battery and allow it to sort of reset itself.
                An hour disconnected and everything is normal
                Last edited by briscoe; 09-07-2010, 12:01 PM. Reason: boo boo

Comment

is this ECU the problem

I found that if I disconnect the White wire (all by itself) from the battery for an hour or so and then reconnect it I have power at the console. I don't disconnect anything but that white wire, which was showing voltage even though the console had no power.

Does this mean the issue may be the ECU, whcih is what the white wire feeds power to?

Comment

No Power at helm when battery left connected overnight

Hi Friends,
                    I've read your post and am having the same issue. Exactly. Leave battery hooked up overnight, no power to the helm after that.I have to keep the white wire disconnected for more than 8 hours to reset the system
                    I have checked all connectors and wiring... no luck.
                    Has anyone got a fix?
                    Thanks!

Comment

DF115 White wire in Wire harness

I have a 2006 DF 115 that had almost the exact problem, turn key and I have nothing. I and my two nephew's spent two days checking connections and wires for corrosion spots and wire drawing. Talked to two dealers an they have never heard of this problem, best guess a component has gone bad, bring in and we fix it. The wire drawing shows a red wire with 15 amp fused to white wire connected to + terminal, red wire was there but was not fused and located at front of motor. This left 16 to 20 feet of white wire inside the wire harness that could have a corrosion problem or broken. This white wire at the key showed 12 volts which eliminated a broken wire, but when key was turned on the 12 volts was gone, which indicated to me the wire was not holding amps, corrosion somewhere in wire caused probably by a neck.

I have a 17 ft center console Mckee craft, battery is located in console, we decided to install a 2 ft long 12 amp marine grade red wire with 15 amp fuse and connect to + terminal. We cut the wire two inches behind the plug in connection for the Switch harness and the remote cable going to the motor, but connection and heat shrink connection with about 1 inch past each end of connection, which makes the heat shrink tubing about 3 inchs long. This removes 16 plus feet of white wire that has to carry enough amps to support electrical system, a nick or corrision in this white wire will cause this problem. The white wire in the wire harness, my assessment is undersized for the application needs to be 12 amp marine wire.

My motor has runs perfect since I made this change, horn is much higher pitch and my gage lights are much brighter which tells me the new 12 amp wire is suppling enough amps. If you have to run a longer wire make sure it is 12 amp red Marine wire with 15 amp fuse install and heat shrink all connections.

Good Luck

Comment

I am sorry I did not look at this message until today. I accidently discoverd that if I jumped a positve wire from a 12volt battery, under the dash to the input on the tach and a ground wire to common off my switches the key would beep and I could start my motor. I returned the boat to the dealer and they found a nick in the wire harness insulation, which was showing the bundle of wires. I could not tell if there was a certain wire in the bundle that was giving me problems.

I do know that when I replaced the wire harness all my problems went away!

Comment

jfishtaker, Is your engine stil operating as it should after you installed the short wire to the battery? No problems with the ECM? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by larrysuzuki View Post
                            The first thing to do is to check for 12 volts at white wire. Next is to see if the white wire will hold amps. The white wire gets its 12 volts where it plugs in on the engine where the harness hooks up.
                            Can you please explain how a wire can 'hold amps"?

Comment

Working...
                            X