Compression test super six

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compression test super six

What is the proper way to compression test a 150 hp super six? All those plugs and wires are throwing me for a loop!

remove all the plugs then test each plug one at a time and make a list to record your findings on each one.

you should not see more then 10% difference in any two cylinders

Comment

Remove all plugs?

This is not my motor yet. It's on a boat I'm going to look at and hopefully buy. The guy says the motor runs great but I want to check as much as I can before I buy it. With it having two plugs per cylinder, if I remove both plugs from a cylinder and screw in the gauge, will I still get a good reading with the other plug out?

Comment

no just remove one out of each cylinder then, the idea is to take the load off of the starter so you don't run the battery down while cranking it for the compression test.

if you don't own it yet then it would be a good idea to bring it to a mechanic to do a test check to make sure the motor is in good working order. it will cost you a little money but its like getting a home inspection before you buy it. a very good investment to protect your expensive purchase and the owner should have no objection to a qualified mechanic looking it over but he might have an issue with just a regular guy wanting to take things apart to check it out.

Comment

Working...
        X