250SS Speedometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 250SS Speedometer

I have a new 250SS and the speedometer quit working, any suggestions?

Probably temporary clog in the pitot inlet, seaweed or such. They usually clear themselves, but you might have to clean it out. My speedo goes out occasionally, but normally clears itself once the boat stops moving and then starts up again. But if it stays that way, check the connection, both in the motor and the speedo, and inspect the line a well as you can.
    Last edited by Harper; 06-16-2014, 12:02 AM.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Speedometer

Thank you for the info, I'll give that a try!

Comment

Also, I just re-read and noticed that it's a new motor. If they are also new instruments, in other words, if it's all new, it should be under warranty, and if you find that it doesn't seem to be related to clogging, you should make the dealer who installed it make it right.
        Mike
        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

speedometer

I thought I'd check it out like you suggested because I'm quite a distance from my dealer. If it isn't something simple I will take it to my dealer. This is the first outboard I have owned in 30 some years and the first one that picks-up the speedometer from the motor. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

A piece of thin wire or heavy fishing line poked carefully into the pitot hole in the front if the gearbox will usually dislodge any grit of weed in there.

Comment

Speedometer

Thanks for the info!

Comment

Working...
              X