I hit a log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hit a log

I have a 2005 DF140. I hit a submerged log Saturday. Broke one of the blades off my aluminum prop but didn't tear the rubber hub. However, with the engine running the prop won't spin in forward or reverse, with engine off and in either gear I can turn the prop nut by hand, and when the engine is running no water comes out of the pee hole.

No sure if I damaged the lower unit, but with no water I'm convinced that the driveshaft is not turning (hence the water pump not working). I've read about the offset driveshaft in my Seloc manual, but what could I have broken?
    Last edited by fredhead; 08-24-2010, 05:09 AM.

pull the leg and see if something there has broken

Comment

Update......

I broke the driveshaft. Right below the powerhead. How do I get it out of the lower unit? And I hope that I can fish it out of the gear on the bottom of the powerhead with a 5 lb extension magnet. Well, great time to replace the water pump impeller, lower unit oil, and engine oil. And I'll guess I'll get a stainless steel prop.

HELP!!!!! Anybody know the part number for the driveshaft???? I can't find it in the parts listing!!!!
      Last edited by fredhead; 08-29-2010, 12:54 PM.

Comment

You mean the driveshaft or crankshaft ? check that This is the right model .

look HERE
        Suzuki Marine Outboard Parts 2005 DF140T TRANSMISSION (DF140T) Diagram

Comment

It's the driveshaft. Still can't get the piece out of the drive gear on the bottom of the powerhead. Going to make a more powerful telescoping magnet using one out of an old hard drive. I sure don't want to have to pull the powerhead to get to it.

How does the driveshaft come out of the lower unit? The SELOC manual says just pull it out after removing the bearing over but the hole doesn't look big enough for the pinion gear. Any hints?

Comment

did you remove the nut from the bottom of the drive shaft you have to remove the prop shaft and get a ring spanner in there to undo it........... the housing will be very tight as it gets corrosion between housing ...unless it is only used in fresh water

Comment

OK I took the lower unit to my local repair shop and he got the driveshaft out, sold me a new driveshaft, and swapped the bearing on the shafts. Now I have to deal with the broken off piece still stuck in the driven gear on the bottom of the powerhead.

Been working my way up from the bottom, I'm at the point that I should be able to remove the oil pan. This unit.....

Suzuki Marine Outboard Parts 2005 DF140 OIL PAN Diagram

I have all the bolts out, but I can't get the pan to come loose. Any tricks to getting the sealant that Suzuki used to break loose? Or are there bolts not seen in that diagram that attach to the mount?

Comment

Drive Shaft

You need to remove power head. The engine holder will not come off there are bolts from top.

Comment

Larry, I figured that out. Got the powerhead pulled, the driveshaft piece out and the powerhead back on. Everything back together, except one thing.....

there's a small hose coming out of the top of a cover on the front of the crankcase, I can't remember where it goes, and I can't find anyplace to connect it to. It goes toward the right (intake manifold) side of the engine.

Seloc manual is useless here. Anybody have a diagram of the cooling water hose routing?
                  Last edited by fredhead; 09-06-2010, 06:56 PM.

Comment

I don't see where anyone replied to you. I have a DF140 but I believe the hoses are similar. There is one hose on the right side that is just a drain, mine is pink colored. That's not much help. This drain is off the fuel vapor something or another where the fuel pump is located.

Sorry......

Comment

ya got a pic

Comment

I managed to figure it out. Got it running Saturday, now just waiting on a propeller spacer for my new prop. The Quicksilver prop that I destroyed (which the dealer installed 5 years ago) didn't use that part, and the Solas 4-blade 13 3/4 X 17 does use it.

Comment

Working...
                        X