2003 DF140 PTT only works when engine heats up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 DF140 PTT only works when engine heats up

Hey guys - I'm new to the world of working on outboards. For some years now the PTT operation suffers when the boat sits up and then starts working good again with more regular use. This year the story is the PTT does not work up or down at all until I start the engine and let it run for awhile which is possibly helping something like a relay expand and make good contact again. Once the engine heats up both PTT switches come back to life. I've heard this issue can go away with simple cleaning of the relay terminal or it's the relay itself. Any suggestions on how to solve this would be great - Thanks.

it would have to be a bad ground connection to act like that because engine heat will make that connection tighter so undo the ground connections, clean them all up, put a little finger wipe of grease on them and retighten it.

the only other common connection is the power bar connection to the start relay and positive battery wire but if this were the problem I doubt it would start and this would not be affected by a warm engine but it wouldn't hurt to clean these connections as well

Comment

Ok appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
      X