DF140 problem starting (sometimes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF140 problem starting (sometimes)

I have a 2005 DF-140, I went to launch my boat and it wouldnt start, acted like it wasnt getting fuel. Pulled it out and disconnected some fuel lines and it started up. So I put back in the boat ramp and same thing, it would not start. Took it home put it on the muffs and it started and ran for 10 min. Took it back to the boat ramp and it would not start. Took it straight to a mechanic shop and it started perfect there. They are going to replace the spark plugs and adjust something up by the bianaccle controls, something that controls the idle?? Has anyone else had this problem?? I know this is confusing, but it seems like a fuel problem but I am being told it isnt??
    Thanks in advance!!

Just figured out my problem, it was the dreaded engine holder corossion problem. The plug had actually fallen out and was filling my cowling up with exhaust gas. Taking it to a local machine shop to be welded up.
    Thanks

Comment

Hope it goes well.

That plug corrosion issue is now pretty well documented, and fortunately they addressed it back in 2007 with design changes.

It is just a pity that Suzuki and their dealers haven't done at least a owner notification mailout so people are aware of what to watch out for in advance of problems occurring.

Hopefully your damage is minimal. Make sure you and your repairer have a close look at any wiring harnesses adjacent to the hole and check it out for any damage. Even if it is not burnt through it needs to be carefully checked and if in doubt, repaired to a proper standard.

Comment

Yea , I was able to catch it before it burned up any wiring, just melted my hose connection for flushing the motor, which I never use. Welding went well and took it out and ran it and it ran great.

Comment

I have a 2006 DF 140, new to me. And would like to see pictures or a diagram where I can find this. Anybody have any?

I am going through my own issues with the motor and might as well check this out while I am working on it.

Comment

It shouldnt be too hard to find a picture, but the steel plug is located on the lower side of the motor, the top cowl can be removed, then the side cover if you cant see it properly, near the screw in plastic flush port. If yours is still OK, and it can be removed, there is aftermarket alloy plug that will fix the problem

Comment

Working...
            X