used motor steering tube seized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• used motor steering tube seized

Hi, I have an older suzuki dt55 I just bought a newer one but it is used. on the used engine they cut the steering linkage off because it was seized.
    my question is, how do i get it out? Or can i use the one off my old engine and if so what is the easiest way of making the swap? can i take the whole motor mount off the engines and swap them? how? Thanks in advance for any advice i really appreciate it.

I should have been more clear the shaft that the cable is supposed to be mounted to is what is rusted and seized. I really wanna have this boat on the lake by the weekend. supposed to take kids tubing lol. even if someboddy would take a shot in the dark that would be great. i iwll post pics tomorrow

Comment

You may have some luck putting some heat on the tube and trying to work what is left of the old steering cable out as you do it. It could be old grease etc in there.

The other thing to try would be some CRC, auto transmission fluid or similar lubricating oil and try to get it in there and soaking in for a while to help loosen it up.

I suppose the issue, even if you do get it apart, is that the inside of the tilt tube could well be badly damaged and rusty, and it is going to be nigh on impossible to get it cleaned out and back to good condition. It might be easier in the long run to just replace the tilt tube.

I am not familiar with that specific engine, but when i fitted hydraulic steering (tilt tube mounted) to the 70 Yammy on my last boat, it seemed to me that the tube itself could be unscrewed off the engine bracket, appeared to be just a couple of nuts on each end and wind it out. Would be worth a close look to see if that might be possible on your engine.

Comment

most will come right out but you have to do it off the boat or carefully support the engine to take all of the weight off of it so the engine weight isn't holding it because it is the main pivot point of the engine and holding all of the weight.

first just try removing the big nut and trying to tap the tube out, that works fairly easy on most engines but im not that familiar with your engine to say for sure.

see what you are dealing with and decide how to proceed but you can swap the entire swivel bracket and mounting assembly as one unit by taking out the 4 motor mount bolts and sliding it off of the engine. sounds easy, looks really easy, but sometimes the nuts gets stuck so it all depends on if the nuts and bolts come loose easy or not as to which method will be the least trouble for you.
        Last edited by keakar; 07-08-2014, 08:43 AM.

Comment

thans guys, i managed to get it out by taking the nut off and hitting with a hammer. (doh) but now i got looking at the wiring between the newer and old engine and in my old one there is one wiring harness coming out of the boat and it goes into the motor and plugs in and it runs both the oil injection system and also goes to the control box. on the newer one theres spots for two harness's and one goes to the control box while the other goes to the oil injection system. It confuses the hell outta me and im starting to wonder what ive got my self into. hope that makes sense

Comment

Working...
          X